Rat Infestation...need help

Discussion in 'The Loafing Shed' started by shyfilly78, Mar 1, 2009.

1. shyfilly78

shyfilly78 New Member

I put this here because it kinda has to do with my chickens/ducks. This year, since I've had the animals, the rats/mice that have invaded the barn is horrible. they have been climbing into the cages and feasting on the poultry's food. Its way out of hand.

I have not yet put poison out because I worry that my poultry might somehow get it ingested into them. I worry that the rats will feast on the bait and then leave residue on the poultry's food.

Does anyone have advice?

2. Sarah315

Sarah315 Active Member

3. shyfilly78

shyfilly78 New Member

cats have never stayed around at the barn. but I can try it again I guess.

4. syndiego

syndiego New Member

In my experience, cats won't go after a rat, only smaller vermin.
    I've never had one, but I witnessed a JRT (Jack Russell) tear a rat to pieces at a trainer's barn. They live for this stuff.

5. BUC

BUC Administrator

Take a feed pan and flip it upside down with a little grain and some poison under it. You can weight the pan down so the chickens don't flip it. The mice and rats will burro under. Pretty soon once they establish a good set of tunnels all you will have to do is keep the poison under it.

6. Sarah315

Sarah315 Active Member

Here's a picture of one of our barncats, Tiger, with his prize he brought home from the neighbor's. Of course it was still alive, but they finished it off in short order. It was the biggest rat I have ever seen.

It won't help your immediate problem, but if you get a few friendly kittens and confine them to your barn for a week they should stay.

[​IMG]

7. Jamik

Jamik New Member

Honestly. Cats.

I have no mice, no rats but I have 6 fat cats. And don't let people tell you they won't hunt if you get them neutered/spayed. Mine are all "fixed" and hunt just fine.

8. Shell

Shell New Member

:laugh: 10 rats and 3 cats

but seriously, wild rats and mice are not welcome.

The picture with the cat...whatever the cat caught is cute. It doesn't look like a rat though. Looks like a baby something else.

9. syndiego

syndiego New Member

I thought it looked like a kangaroo :eek:

10. Shell

Shell New Member

I showed the picture to my bf and he said it doesn't look like a rat either.
    There are kangaroo rats, but I'm pretty sure we don't have them. I'm thinking a baby musk rat.

:- ok, yeah they all have "rat" at the end of whatever they are, but not your typical wild rat.

11. AKPonygirl

AKPonygirl New Member

JRT's will make short work of rats.. if you don't want to own one, try to find a "rental" LOL

12. Sarah315

Sarah315 Active Member

Oh I assure you it was a rat. It's hard to tell in the picture but it had a long thick disgusting rat tail. There was absolutly no mistaking it. My cats also keep out the bunnies and squirrels and snakes! Here's Lucky with his prize.

[​IMG]

13. hobblehanger

hobblehanger New Member

thats a rat...look at the tail

Our barn had rats-got two cats. The felmale is a good ratter, but she doesnt eat them. The male does.
    She just kind of kills them and leaves them around for us to see and tell her good kitty.

The male, well, he eats most of it, and leaves the rest around the barn so we can say-EWWWWWW Gross Trotter (thats his name, clever huh?!)

The only things that the cats don't keep out were the possum.
    Us humans had to get rid of them.

14. MARE RUN

MARE RUN New Member

Peanut butter, peanut butter, and more peanut butter. Bait traditional rat traps with it. Cage the traps with milk crates to keep the poultry out. IT'S SAFE AND WORKS.

15. HorseFarm

HorseFarm New Member

Tom-Cat bait boxes. You put bait bars inside a black box, designed so only rodents can get in. Then place them in your coop, barns or where ever else you feel. Add a couple of cats, great rodent patrol, and some prefer the rats over mice.

16. syndiego

syndiego New Member

That cat looks exactly like my older kitty, Poncho! Too bad about the snake, I think they are good to have around (even though I still shreek when I encounter one)

17. shyfilly78

shyfilly78 New Member

me no wanty wanty either mice or rats. but i would prefer mice over rats anyday!