Rider Jumping Faults discussion

Discussion in 'The Carrot Stick' started by mrponies, Feb 27, 2009.

1. mrponies

mrponies New Member

Which fault do you consider worse and why and for you instructor-type-people, what would you do to help your student fix it:

a) Jumping Ahead

b) Getting left behind and sitting on the horse BUT slipping the horse the rein it needs

I recently had this discussion with a friend. It was pretty fun. So...discuss...discuss...

2. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

a) jumping ahead.

This is based on your example above that the left behind rider did slip the horse the rein it needed therefore NOT bashing it in the mouth.

As for fixing a jump ahead rider, Low short(1 strides and bounces) gymnastics on a steady Eddie, preferably with no reins and eyes closed!
    Teaches them to FEEL the rhythm of the horse and to WAIT for the horse to come off the ground. Helps them to learn how to fold to meet the horse and not anticipate.

3. mrponies

mrponies New Member

Would you have the rider practice this at the trot or canter?

What do you do for a green jumping rider who is jumping ahead?

What would you do for a student who was working with their own horse who was not a steady eddy and did not have access to such type horse?

;D (Just want to make people think!)

4. JenR

JenR Formerly Underworld Queen

Jumping ahead -- good way to end up with a face full o splinters and/or get a horse refusing or ducking out

I'm with ET -- gymnastics are a good way to get both horse and rider used to the rhythm of jumping without a lot of "thinking it" on their part; also a good idea: using a neck strap -- saves the horse's mouth, helps the rider learn an automatic release and not to lean on the crest which can make for jumping ahead problems; another good thing to do is to put a ground pole half a stride or so out in front of a jump, so the pair go over the pole and are "in the slot" in front of the jump, helps both horse and rider to not rush the approach (there's a pole to concentrate on as well as the jump) also helps the horse to balance and get in a better jump; actually, just working through trot and canter poles, then low cavalettis in a two point while the instructor emphasizes position will help a rider out. Biggest issue with jumping ahead, for the rider seems to be rounding their shoulders and losing their base especially in the heels -- that can be worked on the flat -- have them go up in two point and then full seat, every four-three-two- strides at the canter, really teaches a person to fold and has the added benefit of teaching stride rhythm, and riding with one hand, two hands out to the side. All the while the instructor needs to be emphasizing their position.

One of the best things I ever got from an instructor was he would stand at the side of the jump and start bantering with me right up to the point of take off; he used to laugh and joke around and sing "Whistle While You Work" and insist you do likewise. Wise trainer, he realized that most of the problem with getting ahead (for both horse and rider) was nerves and/or anticipation; by doing what he did he kinda broke your mind up off of the jump just enough to not over mental the situation.

Now, if you want to get hard core on a rider, you can always jerk their stirrups up really short -- they'll stay centered and fold or come off; choice is theirs (ask Adrienne about how that makes you rethink staying centered and keeping your shoulders back!); I wouldn't do that to a beginner though.