Ron Clark's Academy

Discussion in 'The Loafing Shed' started by TwistedWire, Jan 18, 2009.

1. TwistedWire

TwistedWire Guest

2. BUC

BUC Administrator

BUC-------> :th_puke:

3. JenR

JenR Formerly Underworld Queen

My Mylanta usage has been at an all time high as of late anyway.

4. WindyKnollFarm

WindyKnollFarm New Member

Key Lime Pie yoplait doesn't taste so good the second time.....

5. lori

lori New Member

OH MY GOSH YOU GUYS. Ron Clark is awesome!!!!

So for my job sometimes I make sales presentations to teachers at teacher in-service days. I got asked to do someone else's sales presentation in Northern Alabama. Due to some airport issues, I ended up spending about 8 hours doing the airport/airplane thing and then STILL having to drive about 450 miles, which isn't much longer than if I'd just drove the whole thing to start with. I ended up getting to my hotel at 4am, my presentation was at 8:50, but the notes from the school said I was required to be there at 7am. I was SO annoyed.

Anyway, I get there, and the first thing thing they do is have everyone come to the school gym where it appears we are going to have this ra-ra assembly. I am VERY annoyed. There is some speaker who I guess is maybe a district superintendant or something... Ron Clark, whoever that is.

OH MY GOD, he was such a good speaker and such an inspirational guy. I was ready to quit my job and be a teacher. Still kind of thinking about it. A lot of the stories he told were from his book, The Essential 55. I got it and read it in the airport on the way home. I love that guy and what he's doing.

6. BUC

BUC Administrator

Here is what makes me puke...

You have a group of young kids that really have no idea how the real world works. You have a guy (who I don't care if he's Jesus Christ himself) that have turned these kids into little Obamas.

Is it the educational systems duty to turn kids into little Democrats, or Republicans for that matter? When did your choice of where your alliance will lay become a "teachers" duty?

Do you honestly think if Ron Clark again was Jesus Christ himself and taught little white kids the Obama rap only sung to country that Oprah would have sent a big honkin check?

The whole clip made me gag.

Again, when did it become the educational systems job to decide that those kids need to support Obama?

The one and only time I ever stormed into the principals office to have a word was over a teacher who tried this same shit. She felt it her job to tell the kids to go home and tell their parents who to vote for.

7. Shelley

Shelley Senior Member

Buc, you put into words what I was thinking but couldn't quite express. I admire this guy who obviously loves his job but I have a BIG problem when you take young, unexperienced, malleable minds and shove them into a mold to suit your purpose. I'd love to read the book but I'm not going to spend any money buying it.

8. lori

lori New Member

Well, the thing is, too, he isn't in a public school situation. He can do whatever the parents will let him do with their kids. And for some of these kids, being in his school is a life changing event, giving them opportunities they wouldn't even dream about.

Obama is believed to be very good for education. It makes sense that Ron Clark and other passionate educators would be excited. The NEA supports him. I am pretty excited about what he's said about his educational policies.
    http://educationvotes.nea.org/
    http://www.nea.org/home/29391.htm
    http://dnceducation.org/2008/08/26/nea-supports-obama/

Then again I did go to a crazy liberal high school and had draft dodging hippies teaching my history and English classes. ;D

9. BUC

BUC Administrator

I am glad they are in school, but shame on the parents and shame on their system for allowing this.

In this hard core conservative household I always allowed my kid to develop his own views, I didn't force feed him the republican kool-aid. He's a democrat. Am I happy, no, LOL...but that's life. Would I have felt better if I brain washed him and made him sing and dance to my political agenda, no.

10. Shelley

Shelley Senior Member

I might check out his books from the public library just to see what he is all about. I did go to the school website. Kudos for him on his accomplishments but I still have major problems with my perceived notion that the kids are being fed only half the story/information when it comes to politics. I could be wrong...it has happened a time or two. Heck, I'd probably make up a song or two if Oprah would send me $365,000 smackers.

11. lori

lori New Member

The book I read, The Essential 55 has NO partisan politics in it. (From what I remember, it's been about 2 years.)He lists the basic manners required of his students and why, and then often throws in a story to demonstrate a point. Those of you who are sad about the lack of manners in today's society will like his viewpoint, even if he is a friend of Obama. Amazon.com has a preview, it's also on Google books.
    http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Award-Winning-Educators-Discovering-Successful/dp/1401300014
    http://books.google.com/books?id=2eui3EhfIOYC&printsec=frontcover&dq=%22+the+essential+55%22

I don't even know that he whines about the sad state of school funding, other than some funny stories about what he did to get things done. He was a pretty funny slacker of the "I want to travel" variety til he got sick from eating not fully cooked rats, had to come home and recover at his parents, and his mom forced him to go be a sub at the local school, which led to a job, which led him to wanting to teach at THE poorest school in America. (You can read the story about the rats in the google preview.) The book is funny but the guy is hilarious... the movie was adequate but Matthew Perry is NO Ron Clark.

12. Shelley

Shelley Senior Member

Lori, I had no idea the made a movie based on him. I went onto Amazon to check out his books and their prices. I only read the reviews which were good. Love the rat story since I have a younger daughter that seems to want to do the eating rats thing...well, not eating rats but traveling via Peace Corps which may end up in the eating rats category. ha

13. JenR

JenR Formerly Underworld Queen

Eat them where they dip em in a seperate sauce container after roasting them -- or learn the subtle art of scavenging up pogey bait to always have with you. ;)

The NEA has turned into one of the biggest indoctrination camp/scam jobs out there -- there are reports starting to come in of teachers telling their students not to say anything "improper" today, meaning no derogatory or even critical comments about The One; they have based what is considered "improper" on such a lose definition a kid could make a comment about Michelle's earrings not being that cool and it could be considered "improper". So no, our school systems (and many of the teachers) don't give a rat's ass (fullly cooked or otherwise) if student's learn (goodness knows the test scores aren't showing that!) -- but they better say only "proper" things about the new administration by golly!

Uncle Joe would be so very very proud of us...the original GW, maybe not so much.