??'s for Smokers under 30

Discussion in 'The Loafing Shed' started by snaffle, Jan 30, 2009.

1. snaffle

snaffle Guest

I was listening to the TODAY show this morning.. and a man said he spends $2,100 per year on tobacco sticks.

Wow.. that is a LOT Of money .. to spend on something that is unhealthy.. and unpleasant for many people to be around.

It has become a burden to smoke in public places.
    I certainly would not want to stand outdoors in zero weather to feed a habit.
    I would not be able to pay the extra money to those health insurance companies that want higher premiums for health coverage when a person smokes.

I realize that cigarette smoking is addictive.. the cigarette companies make sure it is.

My questions are aimed for those of you under the age of 30, primarily because for the past 15 years (approximately)... there has been so much education about the harm of cigarettes.

1. Did you really WANT to smoke that first pack?

2. Did you start because you felt it made you look 'cool' in front of your peers?

3. Did you start because of a rebellion against strick parents?

4. Did you start because your parents were smokers and you just gave in?

5. How old were you when you started?

6. If you didnt have a job, how did you finance them?

7. Do you feel it actually is an addiction?

8. How do you feel about people who don't smoke and speak out against it?

9. If you could stop easily and quickly, would you quit?

10. After hearing all those cautions before you started the habit.. do you now feel they were truthful?

2. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

Not to diminish your post but this struck me as quite hilarious.

Quote:I certainly would not want to stand outdoors in zero weather to feed a habit.

WTF do you call horses? We ALL stand out side, in sub zero temps to feed our "habits" and think nothing of it. ;D

Ok, highjack over. ;)

3. Horsemommy47

Horsemommy47 New Member

I am 35 but I will chime in..lol

1. Did you really WANT to smoke that first pack? ??

2. Did you start because you felt it made you look 'cool' in front of your peers? No

3. Did you start because of a rebellion against strick parents? Probably

4. Did you start because your parents were smokers and you just gave in? Yes

5. How old were you when you started? 14

6. If you didn't have a job, how did you finance them?

My dad would throw his carton in the back seat and they would go everywhere so I would snag a pack.

7. Do you feel it actually is an addiction? Yes

8. How do you feel about people who don't smoke and speak out against it? Does not bother me

9. If you could stop easily and quickly, would you quit? Most defiantly

10. After hearing all those cautions before you started the habit.. do you now feel they were truthful? Yes

4. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

I'm way over 30 but I need to say this------

Smoking is as bad as drinking and that hasn't been banished yet-----How many DUI's are written every day, how many innocent people die from drunk drivers? I'm not defending any bad habit---- I smoked for 35 yrs, started at 15 because everyone else was doing it.

Babysitting and working at a barn paid for my smokes---at that time $.40 cents a pack

To be honest I couldn't give a shit what non- smokers had to say about it----- But if I was with someone socially who didn't smoke and asked me not to I didn't! I was not a rude smoker.

I never left ashtrays full of butts-- always used candles and air fresheners in my house (yeah I know it didn't kill the smell but it sure helped)
    Didn't smoke in others houses unless they too smoked

It was my bad habit and YES I finally broke it--------Oct. 2007 my husband and I both quit using Chantix

I wish I had never started but that was back in 1970's---- My bad habits could have been ALOT worse, in front of me all the time at school and every party we attended.

Amazing what I can smell now- Never realized my clothes and truck smelled like horses!

5. Mass

Mass Senior Member and Masscaster

1. Did you really WANT to smoke that first pack? Yes, I liked it right off the bat.

2. Did you start because you felt it made you look 'cool' in front of your peers? I started because I was curious and an older sister of a friend gave them to me.

3. Did you start because of a rebellion against strick parents? Initially no, but it probably contributed later on.

4. Did you start because your parents were smokers and you just gave in? My Mom had already quit smoking and my Dad occasionally smoked cigars, so, no.

5. How old were you when you started? Tried one at 9, but actually started at 13.

6. If you didnt have a job, how did you finance them? My allowance and friends who got them from their siblings. They were .50 then

7. Do you feel it actually is an addiction? Absolutely

8. How do you feel about people who don't smoke and speak out against it? It is their right to do so, but...don't lecture me.

9. If you could stop easily and quickly, would you quit? Probably

10. After hearing all those cautions before you started the habit.. do you now feel they were truthful? Really didn't hear that many cautions, I'm too old for your survey. ;D ;)

6. Daretodream

Daretodream New Member

I am a parent of a child who smokes. She will be 21 in June. When she was little she used to tell her Dad that smoking was using drugs! Then she went to highschool and got a job waiting tables at the local truck stop. She started smoking then- when at work, then on the weekends with her friends and now that she is married with a job where everybody smokes she is finding it really hard to quit. I am amazed by the number of people my daughters age who smoke. It is insane to me. I know some of the people I grew up with smoked but it seems the percentage for her age group is huge. My daughter and her husband both smoke. I wish they could quit more easily for their health and the money it would save them. My kid knows I don't want her to smoke and she does not do it in front of me, but I don't give her crap about it. She is an adult, and as much as I don't want her to smoke it has to be her choice to quit.