Shedding

Discussion in 'The Corral' started by lori, Feb 23, 2009.

1. lori

lori New Member

I pinched a handful of hair off a horse and it came loose easily. You would have thought I was pulling gold off of them as happy as I was.

YES, I know, it's just because today was sunny and warm but it is still a sign, damnit.

2. Shannon

Shannon New Member

I've had a few who have been shedding like crazy for a few weeks now :p

Just took the shedding blade to several of them today ;D

3. JenR

JenR Formerly Underworld Queen

Mine are starting -- come on spring!

4. horsefreak

horsefreak New Member

My dogs are already shedding like crazy.

5. paige

paige New Member

Hacking at one with the shedding blade is one of my favorite parts of spring

6. AKPonygirl

AKPonygirl New Member

OMG!!!!!! ABUSE ABUSE ABUSE ABUSE ABUSE ABUSE ABUSE ABUSE!!!!!!!! I can't believe you are yanking your horses hair out!!! OMG!!! what if it gets cold?!?!?!?! Your horse will be NEKKID!!!! ;D ;D :D

mine is still a furry puff ball.. I did notice that some of the longer guard hairs are coming out.. but the underfluff is hanging on strong.

7. Morganfan608

Morganfan608 New Member

Yeah, my horses and dogs are shedding too! COME ON SPRING! :th_appl:

8. Tbitt

Tbitt Most beloved member of MW

My filly, who is kept indoors more than out, is shedding like CRAZY.

The outside horses? not as much. :'(

[size=15pt]COME ON SPRING!!!!![/size]

btw - what is a shedding blade? Post a link for me...............please

9. Buffy

Buffy New Member

Thanks for the link! And to think I ALMOST bought one yesterday at Farm&Fleet for about $10!!!! :eek:

10. Tbitt

Tbitt Most beloved member of MW

Oh, I've seen them! I have not used them though.

I take it, they work well? I'll need something for this filly - you rub up against her and your cloths become covered! She needs a gooooood brush'en!

11. Peggy Sue

Peggy Sue New Member

WOOHOO longer days mean they start shedding , I have already dug out my slick N easy blocks adn ordered new shed blades!!

I can't wait to see what color Moosa Man is gonna be this year!!!

12. paige

paige New Member

Oh yeah they work great--the hair just keeps coming out, and you will have piles of it every where.

They get so itchy when they are shedding--not to mention ugly, I just love to do it. You get hair everywhere, up your nose, in your throat, everywhere, but it is so fun

13. MelW

MelW New Member

i love slick and easy bars, but they are too expensive, so i buy the grill cleaning blocks..same thing but in a 12x5x5 brick for about the same price...

14. WindyKnollFarm

WindyKnollFarm New Member

If I brush them in the barn, I open the doors and let the wind carry the hair outside, so that the birds can build their nests with the hair. Have actually found empty horse hair nests in past years.

15. jjones

jjones New Member

All mine are shedding.... I haven't actually pushed the issue because the friggin weather can't make up it's mind so I want them to keep coats on a bit longer....

16. lori

lori New Member

Don't apply chapstick immediately before.

Does anyone else put the horse somewhere where the accumulated hair will really stick out? i.e. white pony over barn aisle dirt. Red horses in green(ish) grass? I love seeing the horse, and then all their hair on the ground under them. And then I leave the hair there, and everytime I see the traces of it in the grass or in the dirt, I smile, buh bye winter hair.

17. MelW

MelW New Member

i like it when it looks like you killed a red head under the horse >:D

18. Peggy Sue

Peggy Sue New Member

I will have to try this since I am down to three stubbs from last year

Thanks for the tip

19. syndiego

syndiego New Member

My greys make it look it's snowing out. I got about 1/3 of a muck bucket off of Syndiego last night....at least whatever managed to not get stuck on my black sweatshirt