Shopping for a saddle pad

Discussion in 'The Corral' started by Buffy, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Buffy

Buffy New Member

OK, so Chance and I are looking at getting our hands / hooves on a new saddle pad. He's not necessarily a sway back, but he has very high withers. He's 14.2 at the withers and 14 in the center of his back. We currently double-pad, but I still worry that my saddle crowds his withers and I don't want to hurt him going faster than a walk.

Disclaimer: I don't think it does, he's never SHOWN that it does and he has never been sore. I'm being PROactive in my search for a new pad. :-*

With that said, does anyone have suggestions for a brand that is reasonably priced? I've been looking and seen everything from non-slip, tacky, ventilated withers, impact gel (which I like the sound of, but can't find one for less than $160!) and entire array of others. My head is spinning!
    I'm looking to spend under $125. Preferably under $100, but if I find something that's perfect and a must-have, then I'll pay more!
    TIA

2. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

Spend the $ on a great quality, contour fit, spine vented, impact gel (or high density closed cell foam) pad.
    If taken care of they last for years and the benefits far out weight the cost of chiropractic / massage / vet evealuations-treatments / time off.
    You won't regret it and your horse will thank you!
    WELL worth the investment.

3. Buffy

Buffy New Member

Do you have any brand name recommendations to send me in the right direction?

4. Tbitt

Tbitt Most beloved member of MW

5. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

Sorry. Guess I should have done that.  :-[

This is the one many at my barn use and we all rave over. I'ts used on everything from youngsters with mutton withers to geezers with dropped backs.
    www.jeffersequine.com
    Go to Saddle pads - western
    Go to orthopedic pads
    First one

This one is very good too but only available in a couple colors it looks like (at least from Jeffers).
    www.jeffersequine.com
    Go to orthopedic pads
    Second one

I don't know anything about this one but it looks like it would suit your needs.
    Go to orthopedic pads
    Last one (Ortho Equine The Cloud Pad)

Here's an PC orthopedic pad for $119.00
    http://www.smithbrothers.com/product.asp?pn=X3-19547&sid=froogle&CATALOG_CODE=SX807&EID=X3807001&zmam=1460880&zmas=2&zmac=51&zmap=X3-19547&bhcd2=1233340389

We have 2 people in the barn with older / slightly sway backed horses. they use these and really like them.
    http://www.horse.com/Ride-n-Lite-Orthopedic-Saddle-Pad-WIR29.html?scode=hfroogle

ETA:  There are barrel styledones too if you use a round skirted or barrel saddle.  Many people with more petite or shorter backed horses do soI thought i"d toss it out there that you do not have to use a rectangle.  :)

6. Tbitt

Are the Jeffers' links not working for anyone else? Or is it just me?

7. PT

PT New Member

I've had awesome luck with my Classic Equine Counterpedic pad. It can almost make any saddle fit any horse. It's held up for me for years, and I bought it used off of Ebay :).

Counterpedic Foam Bottom Pad

8. PT

PT New Member

Nope, me neither.

9. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

sorry. I corrected it.
    I didnt realize they would not take you directly to the actual page.

10. Buffy

Buffy New Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Thanks for all the suggestions :D. Now I just need to narrow it down! ;)

11. Tbitt

They are a bit expensive, but these good quality ones are worth it in the long run.
    I got a good contoured pad, with extra padding just around the wither area, for my high withered TB Rex. Made a HUGE differance!!!!!

I know it sucks dumping that kind of money...............but you will NOT be sorry, after a few rides!

Good Luck Buffy!

12. Buffy

Buffy New Member

I'm going to look a bit more into the one that PT posted. I like the idea that I can use that one and still double-pad with a 'pretty' blanket on top. ;D

And then there's the one that ET posted about that I really like...
    http://www.horse.com/Ride-n-Lite-Orthopedic-Saddle-Pad-WIR29.html?scode=hfroogle
    ... but it's so cheap, I almost feel bad if I opt for that one. Like I'm not spending ENOUGH. You know how you get what you pay for :-

And then T-byatch (<----- I LOFF that! :nana:) posted the impact gel which sounds SO comfy...

Decisions, decisions. And to think I was actually going to order one today! ::)

13. Tbitt

14. Peggy Sue

Peggy Sue New Member

I have Professional choice pads and LOVE them yes they are pricey but I have had my first two for going on three years and they still clean up like new!!

Word of caution on the impact gels I had one and it held heat BAD on long trail rides

15. Tbitt

oooo...good to know!!!!!!

16. Peggy Sue

Peggy Sue New Member

I wish somebody would have warned me .. Babs had a heat rash from the one I had ... and her saddle did fit!!! Same goes for neophrene ones they are great for "shorter" rides but on long ones they burn some horses...

I had a tacky pad also rip big bunches of hair out on a 8 hour trail ride it suction cupped to their skin!! that was not pretty and made my weekend hell .. at shawnee got one good ride then was one horse short for the rest of the weekend

17. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

I HATE synthetic fleece.
    I'd rather use a real wool thick woven blanket and an orthopedic liner on top of the wool for added shock absorption.

18. Tbitt

I didn't look - is that what is on those last pads I posted?

Sorry for the confusion - this is to Equust

19. Peggy Sue

Peggy Sue New Member

I haven't opened any links so not sure what is posted...

I perfer real wool as well ...