Spinoff: Weight loss

Discussion in 'The Loafing Shed' started by monizzle, Jan 19, 2009.

1. monizzle

monizzle New Member

There must be more people out there like I am, completely unmotivated to exercise/eat right but REALLY want to lose weight/be more healthy. Please oh please say I'm not the only fat lazy ass!

How do you keep yourself motivated? How do you make yourself responsible for yourself? What's your exercise plan?

Anna

2. Angellou

Angellou Senior Member

I see what obesity did to my mom and I do not want to go down that road too, so I exercise regularly and eat right 95 % of the time and never let myself go past a certain number on the scale. For me it's a way of life not a crash diet now and then.

3. Angellou

Angellou Senior Member

One thing I have also learned is that if you jog a bit, walk a bit, continuously for a half hour each day you will burn fat. It will keep your heart rate in the fat burning range which is a lower heart rate than going for a total cardio workout. The main thing is to move every day even if is only 10 minutes and you may only start at 5 minutes and work your way up. Total weight bearing exercise is best to burn fat instead of biking.

4. AppyGSP

AppyGSP Senior Member

Once you FORCE yourself to start exercising, then it becomes easier because you will have more energy and will feel better and better. If you look at yourself in the mirror in disgust like I do :mad:
    , it should be enough motivation.

I'm eating better, but amount of food hasn't been my problem, it's definitely lack of movement - especially in the winter when I can't ride. I sit all day long at my job, and can't change it. I try to get up once in a while and take a walk, but I pretty much have to stay near my desk and the damn phone. :-

I want to lose 30# by July.

Good luck...let us know what finally gets you going.

5. STARSKI

STARSKI New Member

Ditto to what AppyGSP said. Looking in the mirror is enough motivation. Then, once you start seeing results, it becomes even more motivating.

6. whoaboy

whoaboy Senior Member

It can help to have a work out buddy. Of late, it is my husband who has been dragging my butt out of bed at the ugly hour of 4:30 am to go to the gym. I am a night person for exercise, not morning. I get up early (6am usually) but I like to ease into my day, no get involved immediatly in a 3 mile run. Let me read my paper, drink some coffee for Gods sake and maybe in a few hours I will feel up to some heavy exertion. I prefer 5 pm to exercise, but have been getting my carcass up anyway because he turns on the light, sets the alarm and makes all kinds of noise to be sure I am up and at it!

7. funnypaint

funnypaint New Member

I find I can't force myself to exercise... if I do, I'm unmotivated at the gym and crabby for the rest of the day. I like walking/running the trails much better (plus it's free!). I actually like taking my horses for handwalks/handjogs down the trails. If I get tired or go further than I though I hop on and ride home. :) My gym membership is officially over and canceled now and I couldn't be happier!

I think that the key to exericising is finding what type makes YOU happy. My BF is the type that loves going to the gym and pounding on the elliptical or stair machines for an hour straight. I went with him for about a month and wanted to shoot myself in the foot. Try out different things until you find what you like... pilates, yoga, walking, swimming, running, biking, workout machines... every one is different but they all burn calories.

A buddy that's on the same page as you works wonders too. If they are on a different chapter, like me and my BF it can just drag you down even more!

8. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

I am SO there with ya anna.

I know I need to lost a few and I could really tone up.
    But I'm not a morning person. So getting up 1/2 hour early to excercise isn't working.
    By the time I get home at night, all I want to do is sit on the couch and vege out.
    I seriously need some way to motivate myself and I'm failing miserably.

9. AppyGSP

AppyGSP Senior Member

OK - I have the answer to everyone's lack of motivation....

Watch the TV show "Biggest Loser", then strip down to nothing and look in the mirror!!!! I totally disgust myself and get really mad that I let myself gain back weight that I lost 5 years ago. :mad: :th_puke: :th_needhug:

10. monizzle

monizzle New Member

ET so good to hear! At all the suggestions I ::) ...boring. Now that I'm not riding on a regular basis I have gained about 10 pounds and will not be able to ride again for a 1 1/2 years.

11. funnypaint

funnypaint New Member

How long have you not been riding?

12. monizzle

monizzle New Member

August 2007 I started my grad school program and have only ridden 4 or 5 times since. My horses are kept at my parents' house about an hour and a half away. I had been riding 5-6 days a week for at least an hour. I have been thinking about starting lessons, but money is always an issue.

The problem is that I have a really short attention span so when I do go to the gym I'll watch TV for about 2 minutes, read a magazine for 5 minutes, and then the rest of the time I just watch the minutes tick away. I can't wait for it to be warm so I can get out on my bike again.

13. April

April New Member

My work out partner is my dog. He gets my lazy butt up in the morning for his walk. Once you start walking your dog he will make sure you get up. Nothing like 80lbs of dog sitting on your head to make you get up.