Standing while mounting

Discussion in 'The Carrot Stick' started by Cadence, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Cadence

Cadence New Member

Ok, so I have this rescue...she is the one in my avatar, and she is dressage/eventing prospect, and while things are going very well with her, we have one issue that I can't seem to resolve. She will NOT stand still while getting on. We have tried everything that I know of and even something that I didn't know of, so I am looking for suggestions from all of you and your vast knowledge. Maybe there is something that we haven't tried, although it doesn't seem like it. We are about at the point that we will begin to show her to people, but I can't do that with this issue. Thanks!

2. desederada

desederada New Member

Pull her up to the mounting block and attempt to get on. If she walks away lunge her in a small circle around the block. Try to get on again, if she walks away again repeat and do this until she stands for you. The biggest thing to remember is NEVER let her walk off on you not even one or two steps because you create the problem all over again. Make her stand for a few seconds once you are seated. We get horses in training that we get to stand like statues and the first thing the owners do when they mount up is let the horse walk off. UGH! Doesn't take long to make them into non standing while mounting horses. If it doesn't work you can bring her to us I guarantee you she'll be standing in a few days ;) BTW I'm in FL. ;D

3. Cadence

Cadence New Member

DEs, LOL not a chance, been doing this for months. Been there done that... got anything else? I am telling ya this is one tough cookie of a horse! And don't forget, she is a mare!

4. desederada

desederada New Member

I don't even think it's possible you either aren't being consistent or you are not doing it long enough. Keep it up and maybe have a helper hold her while you get on and IF she stands praise her. If she doesn't DON'T get on and make her work on the lunge.

5. Cadence

Cadence New Member

Trust me Des when I say that we have been very consistent and we have definately done it long enough. And even though you don't think it is possible that she isn't standing, she isn't! That is why I am asking for alternatives....she isn't the norm. As far as a helper? Doesn't work, can't hold her, we've had up to three helpers... I seriously think something very bad happened to her in her past. Once you are on though she wll stand like a statue! Maybe we will train all riders to run and jump on from behind like he Indians!! :D

6. Horsemommy47

Horsemommy47 New Member

My horse knows that if he stands there he will get a cookie.

We started with everystep of mounting giving him a cookie. Now he will not move once I get on without getting a cookie.

We call them the keys to the car..lol

Not sure if this will help but thought I would tell my experience?

7. desederada

desederada New Member

You're right but I'll shut up ;)

8. Cadence

Cadence New Member

Horsemommy,
    We tried the "treat" thing in conjunction with clicker training. I am not a treat person at all, but was willing to give it a shot. Turned her into a monster. She is very very smart and knows exactly how much she has to do to get out of what she fears. She may not walk off as you are trying to mount, she may take 3 steps BACKWARD to have her head at the mounting block, just far enough away to keep you from getting on, then if you ask her to go forwad, she swings the butt away and spins around you (at a fast trot)!! Never stopping....just ONE of the tricks.
    Des,
    Don't want you to shut up, just saying that I am looking for some alternatives, as the usual things that work aren't working....

9. lori

lori New Member

I think treat training horses is ridiculous.

It kind of sounds like she's kind of like one we have, only on speed. Pretty much any other horse I can line up next to a fence or a barrel for me to climb on bareback. This one acts like he has no idea what I want, which is a lie because he knows exactly what I want and that's his act to avoid it. I can put him anywhere I want from the ground or his back UNLESS he thinks someone is trying to get on him bareback and then he's all, "DUURRRR, you want my hip AWAY from this fence?" Fortunately, he knows with a saddle there's nothing he can do to avoid it, so he stands still for that.

When she does walk off, do you abort the attempt to get on her and reposition her, or scramble on her anyway? I always felt like you needed to get on them so they know they accomplished nothing wit walking off.

10. Ponythief

Ponythief New Member

Have you tried the off/other side in mounting? Maybe she was trained previously to be mounted on the right side as oppossed to the left. And her moving off is just an unsure thing about why you are trying to mount on that side since once in the saddle she stands stll. Just a thought. Btw she's cute :)

11. Dusty

Dusty New Member

I have had some success with having them face a corner, with their right side against a wall. There really is nowhere for them to go. You need a helper to move the mounting block out of the way after you're on so you can walk off to the left.

12. Cadence

Cadence New Member

Ponythief---- ooooo now there is an idea!!! gonna try that today. Yes think outside the box!!!

We tried the corner thing with the wall to the right and she had herself an anxiety attack tried to pop up and ran backwards!! Not safe! She is so level headed about everything else, that is why this is so frustrating. I wish we knew a history on her as I am sure that has something to do with this.

13. Cadence

Cadence New Member

Well, we ave done both, we would abort the attempt in order to put her to work, and when that didn't work then we later (as in months) tried just scrambling on....

14. funnypaint

funnypaint New Member

I would assume pain somewhere. This horse isn't just not standing for mounting (ex. my horse will walk off once you are on... that's not standing) she is completely evading the mounting, period.

Something's not right there. You either need to back up the training, pulpate everywhere, check the saddles, check the girths for pinching when you pull the saddle to one side, check the saddle pads, add a thicker pad... something. JMO.

One horse I know hates to walk up to the mounting block if the person is above her. She needs to be stopped at the block, THEN you can walk up the steps to mount her. Once we figured that out, all we had to do was back up the training to fix it.

Instead of just spinning her around and wrestling with her I think you should find the CAUSE of the problem, then fix it. Asking for help here seems like a pointless thing.

15. desederada

desederada New Member

Give her a beer before you ride.

16. Cadence

Cadence New Member

I wouldn't call asking on here pointless at all...... strange you think that. We've been all through the pain, saddle fit, girth check EVERYTHING, it's not a pain thing. Those are things that one would always check first....

17. Cadence

Cadence New Member

Now that is the best one I have heard yet!!! I think I will have one with her. Ok so, todays plan is for of each to have a beer and then mount her from the opposite side, this should be video worthy!LOL

18. desederada

desederada New Member

We've had a couple we in the past that would get a beer ;) Seriously you would not believe how much it will relax one. Just by the cheapest beer you can find and mix it in with her grain before you ride. Not saying she'll eat it but the one we used it on ate it right up.

19. Cadence

Cadence New Member

I have heard of people giving beer to their horses, just never done it. It is worth a shot, at this point I am willing to try anything.....Hmmm do they prefer domestic or imported?

20. Peggy Sue

Peggy Sue New Member

do you have a round pen?? if so when you go to mount adn she moves off work her ass off literally not one of two mindless circles quarter circle turn half circle turn third circle turn until she is wangint to stand still

then mount praise and get off ... then mount and praise and ride...