Steel roof vs. Apshalt roof

Discussion in 'The Loafing Shed' started by MyTeDun, Jan 12, 2009.

1. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

New roof going on this spring------

Which way would you go if you were doing the same?

[​IMG]

Sorry about that----pic didn't show up first time around-----

2. Shadow

Shadow New Member

New roof going on what........more info needed ;D

3. snaffle

snaffle Guest

We put on a steel roof..
    on the part of our house that was a filled in porch.

LOVE IT!! I love the look.. it was easier going on that asphalt.

hopefully it will last longer than those cheaply made asphalt shingles.
    (they do NOT last as long as they used to)

next time we have to do any roofing on this house..
    we will be putting steel on

4. desederada

desederada New Member

Steel all the way. I also love the look of a steel roof, that and tile but it would look weird in IL :D

5. Peggy Sue

Peggy Sue New Member

Man I just froze taking some pics for you ... please excuse the outdoor mess HOPEFULLY it is all gonna get cleaned up this year.. we were still working on getting the new windows in when it turned cold fast on us ...

We just put this roof on year and half ago and WE LOVE it ... and just FYI I just froze my fat getting theses pics for you LOL

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Tbitt

Tbitt Most beloved member of MW

I know a few people who went with steel. both new construction. They LOVE it. It is sinulated well and you don't hear the rain.

I'd consider steel.

7. horsedreamin

horsedreamin Active Member

Hands down, steel -- but only if you are planning on staying for a LONG time (and I know you are, Barb). We did the asphalt a couple years ago, but only because we won't be staying more than a few years longer (hopefully).

8. Brilliance

Brilliance New Member

We just did sasphalt a year ago . . .but REALLY wish we had gone steel. Ijits that did the roof sucked and have had to come out several times for leaks.

9. snaffle

snaffle Guest

Peggy Sue your roof is beautiful!

Last spring when we had a heavy rain, I could hear the rain on my office.
    I loved the sound!

10. Peggy Sue

Peggy Sue New Member

thank you ... we spent alot of time finding teh right color roofing and siding I wanted it different then everybody else's

11. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

We are leaning toward the steel but with the color of the siding it is going to be more difficult to find something I am going to be happy with.
    Hell, it took me almost 20 yrs to decide on siding, HOW on earth do you find a color that offsets the really light sage green.

I'm thoroughly confused, that is why I'm starting to work on this now instead of waiting until spring.

Guess it is going to depend on what the total price is for the job------ fascia, soffit, gutters and most likely a tear off of the two layers already there.

PeggySue, thank you for taking the time to take the pics. I love that color on your roof! The only color I refuse to go with is dark green---we have two neighbors with it and on a road with 6 houses it seems strange. I want a different look.

12. desederada

desederada New Member

I love the plain galvanized/silver color you see it alot in the south and it would look great with the sage green.

13. Peggy Sue

Peggy Sue New Member

I can get you the name of the place we got ours I am sure it would be a drive for you but they did a GREAT job on our we drew out the house and they skidded it by sides ...we did drawing with sides labled a,b,c,d,e,f so on ... and they stacked them in order for us even the direction we were putting them on roof!! they also custom bent our peaks and stuff!!

EBC 812-234-4111

14. cherokee

cherokee New Member

if you do steel make sure whom ever does it removes all the old shingles before putting
    the steel on and then caulks the holes in the steel. actually your window trim is white
    I would do a white roof

15. desederada

desederada New Member

1 white
    1 silver
    ;D

16. Peggy Sue

Peggy Sue New Member

be sure they put the pink insulation board under it as well or it will be too noisy ... our front porch is LOUD the rest o the house is great !!

the stuff we have is 30years on paint and lifetime on metal itself!! can't get that with shingles or assfault LOL

17. Shadow

Shadow New Member

I think your home would look GREAT with the country red steel roof...but thats my opinion. CUTE HOUSE by the way !!!

18. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

Thanks Shadow----- I adore my home. Been here going on 23 yrs, lots of memories. Don't plan on selling---the interior is incredible, lots of remodeling done.

I agree with the dark red/burgundy, I painted the exterior doors burgundy and they look great. Its going to be a process!!

19. desederada

desederada New Member

I think the dark red/burgandy door WITH the silver roof would look great ;D