Stock horse bloodlines -- let's talk

Discussion in 'The Foaling Stall' started by JenR, Jan 21, 2009.

1. JenR

JenR Formerly Underworld Queen

All you afficianados of QHs, Paints, and Apps, let's discuss the merits (and possible infamies) of the popular stock horse lines.

Yep, I'm trying to do this for everybody on the board -- thus the multiple postings.

2. MidnightHill

MidnightHill New Member

;D Bloodlines are my favorite thing to discuss....

Lets see....just some observations over the years....This is just a "stereotype" on these bloodline and they all have produced champions in the show ring (and some really fun horses for me). ;)

Hotrodders Jet Set - they will tell you to F*off - and they mean it!

Zippo Pine Bars (and *most* sons) - Good minded but they tend to worry. Almost every Zippo I have had tended to be high maintenance (and afraid of their own shadow).

Zippos Mr Good Bar - probably my favorite Zippo line....they are generally strong, good minded and even tempered (and they don't seem to get scared!)

Impressive - Hot headed but pretty and usually very talented

Ima Big Leaguer - Stubborn Stubborn Stubborn - but once they get it they have it forever

3. JenR

I never would have known that :D -- those are some of the western pleasure lines, correct? Well, except for the Impressive -- I've only met a handful of Impressive horses. One was a darling, the others I thought were the devil; although I know a breeder who swears by having a pinch of Impressive in a performance horse -- I will admit to seeing some horses "with a pinch" and they were very atheletic.

Perhaps it has to do with bloodline doseages and individual people -- I really like the horses that go back strongly to Poco Bueno lines, but I know there are people out there who find them a bit...interesting. The same with "Bailey" horses; I've heard them called rather hot by some people, but I've had three horses that were pretty strong in that bloodline, and while not super mellow, I found them really personable and intelligent, and not that bad to work with. But I don't much care for a super quiet to the point of comatose horse (not the best thing for what I like to do, and I'm too lazy -- it's enough to motivate myself to work!).

4. MidnightHill

MidnightHill New Member

All of those are generally western pleasure sires. Of course all of them that I have had I have loved in their own "special" way.

My broodmare is a grandaughter of Impressive on her sires side and she is out of an own daughter of Boston Mac. Needless to say she can be interesting personality wise. I have had the oppertunity to breed her to several different stallions (I have yet to cross her to the same stallion twice) - it has been a fun experiment and all of the foals have been successful in a show ring. However she adds the "pinch" of Impressive to all my horses now (N/N of course).

I love the Impressives - they can be hard to deal with - I know lots of people who won't touch them - but I think it gives them an awful lot of pretty and alot of ability performance wise. Impressive himself was by a racing stud - so I think that is where the athleticism comes into play.

My semi-retired show gelding comes from an old background (he is 15 this year! YIKES!). He is a grandson of Windchester - who is a son of Mr Tailwind who is mostly know for Siring the Artful Move bloodline (major Hunt Seat horses). However my gelding also traces to Poco Bueno - I grew up riding grandsons and grandaughters of Poco Bueno at my cousins house - they are sturdy horses with incredible minds - although my cousins used to refer to them as "scoop shovel" horses - meaning that they liked to be thumped on. And of course for good measure he has a smidge of Impressive way way back though.

The current show gelding is a son of R Big Time Fancy and out of my above metioned broodmare. R Big Time Fancy goes back to Pacific Bailey and on this guy I will agree that they are a little hot (I have 4 other R Big Time Fancy's in the barn and none of the others are quite like this guy) - I think his "hotness" comes from the combo of Pacific Bailey and Impressive.

5. photofinish

photofinish Senior Member

I am entering this by prefacing that all the lines I was once versed in are probably 3 back on most modern papers by now! I always liked a little Poco, too, Jen. Ones I was around had great minds, if not always the purdiest heads. I think a little Skipper W can put some size and toughness in one, but still suffer occassional PostTraumaticStressSyndrome from working at a "linebreeding" Skipper W ranch. My guy is pretty foundation - Silver Cash, Poco Bueno, and Blondy's Dude. He got the prettier head from the Blondy's Dude, but he also got the Blondy's-buck! He can be a cold-backed sucker! I miss the days of the do-it-all QH. They specialize so much anymore and it seems if they claim "versatility" it just means they do a few different evnets within a specialized classification. One horse who can compete successfully in WP, Hunter Classes, Trail, maybe run a few barrels, then rope a few steers all in the same days is a thing of the past, it seems. They may do WP, Hnter, and Trail OR run barrels and rope a few, but they are either "rail" or "timed". Sad.

6. lori

lori New Member

I don't think I have anything real novel to add, we have enough of a variety of bloodlines that it's hard to draw conclusions from what's up close. Most (but not all, certainly) other people's horses around here that we compete against aren't sons or daughters of major names, so hard to draw from that, too, plus, I often am too shy to ask. (I know, you are all surprised.)

Dash for Cash - smart and sweet
    Hempen - tough mares *only had 1 and she was indestructable
    Jet Deck - (maybe I'm thinking of Top Deck) wasn't he supposed to be slightly nasty, which made him a tough SOB? We have the tough SOB represented, but she's a sweetie

I do believe in the large heart theory, my favorite mare, Welika Sissy could theoretically be a double copy mare. I didn't know her pedigree when I bought her. That's a fun thing to think about when you look at pedigrees.

We have 3 young horses sired by a stakeswinning son of Six Fortunes. The son is sooo laid back, he is just a cool guy. And he won a bunch of money on the track too, just so you know it wasn't personality and "son of." The boys are laid back. The filly is more like her mom, who has 3-4 links to Top Deck... a little fiery, which isn't a bad thing for a barrel horse.

We do have a barrel horse with a link to Impressive... 1 off his papers on the bottom side. He is N/N. He is... I don't know. He is a very good performer, can't argue with that. He's such a doofus though. Even the young horses get annoyed with him, and the yearling gelding was driving him off last summer--and he is a HUGE horse.

I covet a son/daughter of Bully Bullion... less so, really. He had 2 world champions (or maybe 1 champion, 1 reserve) at the AQHA world show, lots of successful racehorses... I guess I knock him as not a producer of producers but I'm pretty sure he's on the top 10 list of money earning barrel horse maternal grandsires, probably close on the same list for racehorses. I would be happy to own Debay, a son of the stakeswinning Six Fortunes son, who we have here for resale. Somehow though DW says selling to your girlfriend does not count. Go figure.

I would like to have a young quarter horse who would be my buddy for the next 20 years and do everything I took a mind to do... unfortunately, I don't think we could do WP and halter, because I could never cut his/her hair. I wouldn't be against a nice BS paint like that one I found in the "Is he cute" thread, I think a horse like that could do everything, too. HOPEFULLY I'll get something nice from Sissy if this whole breeding thing works out. :D I also think Debay could almost be that horse.. he is just so rock solid in bone and leg alignment, I feel like he'll just last forever, and he's so willing to try. Sigh. (Note: this is not a plug for a for sale horse, as I don't want anyone to buy him.)

7. lori

lori New Member

I would love to have long discussions about QH bloodlines, so I'm throwing out a lot of content in case anyone wants to bite. :)

I think my Sassy has a weird pedgiree. (Actually, thus far, any horse I've owned without a "good" pedigree, has had an "interesting" pedigree.)
    http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/sister+to+twister

All parents and grandparents ran on the track. I think the speed indexes are in there on allbreedpedigree.com. Anyway, to me it's kind of surprising to see horses bred like the bottom side with speed indexes, because it's pretty old breeding for racehorses, but then again, her grandsire was born in 1960, so I guess that's what that's all about.

So I think here are some dosages for well known horses. I *think* I did this right. They are pretty far back in the pedgigree
    Three Bars 3x5
    Joe Reed 6x5x6x6x8

Joe Reed
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sassy
    [​IMG]
    Three Bars
    [​IMG]

I look at the proportions and angles in the legs to compare... The Joe Reed photo cracks me up, when she takes off, it's like her head is in your lap, so the giraffe like look strikes a cord. Thank god she doesn't have Three Bars eye there.

8. Shannon

Shannon New Member

Everytime I see that pic of Three Bars, I cant help but think that Dually is conformationally a spitting image of him, just in a colorful form. He has the sme back & wither, shoulder & pastern angle, neck length and common head. Dually is by a son of Gay Bar King x Three Bars

[​IMG]

9. ihave3

ihave3 New Member

QH lines I love the Sonny Dee Bars the ones I have owned have been very athletic and do well in about anything I put them in. Now for the Paint lines of course I love Dirty Sonny I own a son of his and have a colt that has Dirty Rocki. I also like Mr Fancy Bonanza I have a Grandaughter of the Real Bonanza and she is a wonderful little mare. I have owned a few Skipper W have to say the best mare I owned was a Skipper W but she could be stubborn at times. I have owned a few Impressive horses and for the most part they were good but they could throw a tantrum now and then.

10. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

My 32 yr old is (was) a spitting image of his grandsire---- Three Bars

I have owned Doc Bars, Sugar Bars, Winchester, Skipper W, Skippa Star, Poco, GoManGo But my all time favorite is Sonny Dee Bar. There are more but I can't remember

I have no idea about most of them but Sonny Dee Bar seems to be intelligent and patient.

The Skipper W--- harder to train, stubborn but devoted

Thats all I know except for the names~

11. JenR

Jessica's mare is a Fancy Bonanza horse on the top -- would be interested in knowing what exactly you liked about them.

Her mare is a nice little mare, lots of character, can be not the easiest horse, but a hard little worker and really smart.

12. ihave3

ihave3 New Member

JenM All of the Fancy Bonanzas I have seen have been excellent movers and seem to have a great work ethic. The mare we have is great she has a great personality and will work her heart out for you. She is one of those horses that can sit for weeks and you can pull her out and she rides the same as she did when she was being rode for weeks. She is only 5 so I hope she gets even better with age.

13. JenR

Jessica's mare is a tough little mare, and yes, a great work ethic.

14. KS QUARTERS

KS QUARTERS New Member

I have to say I love the Sonny Dee Bars, I have currently 3 mares with his blood and they are both very level headed and are good all around horses with alot of chrome. Kkp

15. monizzle

monizzle New Member

Monet's grandsire on the top is Fancy Bonanza and like everyone else said she is smart, a quick learner, nice mover, great work ethic, and has a HUGE personality. She enjoys working and becomes quite bored with herself if she doesn't have a job to do. She falls asleep at any time she has a 30 second rest break but has a motor once moving. Her spook consists of a cocked ear and 1 side step.
    Keep talking Bonanza.
    Anything on The Investor?

16. MidnightHill

MidnightHill New Member

They like to fight - but once they have it they are ok. I have been around several including an own daughter (owned by Horselessnolonger - she could tell you stories....). Most of them are compact, good looking horses.

17. JenR

I haven't noticed any "fight" in Chester -- who has Investor lines in him. Of course there is other stuff in there too -- Barpasser, Tiger Leo, and In Reality. And he doesn't really look like a QH anyway.

I've heard other people say "Investor" horses are a bit stubborn and like to fight; the one thing I've really noticed (and I've only witnessed 6 of these horses up close and personal) is that their feet could be better. Maybe it's something else, but when all 6 have sort of mehhh feet, one wonders if it's a trend.

18. horselessnolonger

horselessnolonger New Member

Those Investor horses have some grit too them. They are not psycho in anyway, in reality they are actually pretty level headed. But holy crap are they stubborn! And they really think that your world should revolve entirely around them.

I had a trainer (that loved the Investor line) tell me good luck in getting her broke, but once you do you look out they are awesome. He felt that it was the grit that made them such good show horses because they have that "look at me" attitude.

My mare started showing more Investor traits about the time she turned 3 and Midnighthill started breaking her. Up until that point she only showed some small "quirks" that I thought were so cute - yep changed my mind on that cuteness really quick!

19. monizzle

monizzle New Member

I wouldn't say mine has a lot of fight, more so that she would like to have a discussion first. Overall very laid back and mellow but when overfaced with anything she needs her time to think about it or get over it. Superficially her feet look like hell, shallow cracks and some discoloration, but farrier and vet say her feet are some of the best structurally they have seen and she has never had any foot problems.

horselessnolonger-you are spot on with my girl even the part about the "quirks" showing up later in life. At two and three my mare was often mistaken for a 20 year old seasoned campaigner. She's got a little more "grit" to her now ;D

I'm loving this! I haven't had the opportunity to ride a common line so I apologize as I have nothing to add to the rest of the discussion.

20. JenR

Yeah, Chester's feet have held up fairly well (except for his nasty episode with an abcess this year -- but I attribute that to weather, there seemed to be a higher incidence of that this last year). And I'll give him credit for fairly tough legs .

But just looking at him you wouldn't think so.

The temperment is stellar though -- he's a very good, good boy (well, except when it comes to clippers, but again, that really isn't due to anything with him).