Strange Behavior

Discussion in 'The Corral' started by palaminofancy, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Yesterday when Smokey went down in the pasture, all his herd mates were there, and 1 by 1 they came over by him and sniffed him, then walked off. My old mare, Blaze chased the yearlings back into the barn before they got near him.
    I know they were curious as to why he was down, but it seemed surreal. Very orderly - like saying good-by.
    The strange part was when the vet got there, and he was standing there, Cereza pinned her ears and charged at him. I shooed her away, but she came back, even more aggressive - making a wierd noise. I got a halter on her, and had Mike hold her about 10 ft away while the vet gave him the shot. Smokey gave a weak groan when the needle went in, and Cereza started whinning like crazy when she heard him. When Smokey was gone, I took her halter off her and she ran back into the barn.
    I wonder if she was trying to protect him from the vet? I've never experienced anything like that before.
    At dinner last night, she would not even let me near her - she would walk away.

I feel really bad for Mike - he is trying to be strong for me, but I can see how much he is hurting. Smokey was his best friend who would stand for hours to get his belly rubbed; the horse Mike learned how to ride on; and the fella who listened to all of Mikes' problems.
    Smokey was bought by us at Pec sale barn over 8 yrs ago when his former owners didn't want him anymore. That was the best money we ever spent.

2. Sarah315

Sarah315 Active Member

Wow, I'm sorry you lost your friend.

I find myself constantly amazed how animals communicate with each other. And how they try to communicate with us.

3. Shadow

Shadow New Member

I know what you are going through..I had to put a mare down a few yrs back and her stable mate was heartbroke and wouldn't allow me near her for several days..she wouldn't eat or drink..I got very concerned she would just give up..but she eventually came around..slow but sure. Misch has been there when Tumi was born ans when weaned she was her buddy and they were together ever since,,,it is an=mazing how they bond to each other,,those who think they are stupid ,unfeeling creatures have never witnessed how tight the bond are..they mourn also.
    I hope Mike can come to terms with this as gently as possible..the unfortunate thing is ..None of us are getting out of it alive...keep the good memories in your heart and move forward.

4. horsefreak

horsefreak New Member

Sorry for you and your horses loss, they must have loved Smokey too. :'(

5. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

Poor Mike---- I feel for him, it hurts

Vicky, next time try to do it in a private place out of sight of the other horses. They do realize what is going on.
    I've gone through this so many damn times and have learned that this the best way to handle it.

They were saying goodbye to Smokey---They were his companions and part of the total family.

Take care, call sometime---I'm home every evening

6. Michele

Michele New Member

I too have seem the horses come up to say "goodbye" when a herd member passes on.

7. Thank you all for your kind words.
    Barb, he went down in the pasture near the barn, and we could not get him to his feet. We tried and that upset Mike even more - trying to pull on the lead rope, and Smokey couldn't even lift his head up at that point.
    I know death is a part of life, but it hurts so damn much to lose a loved one.

8. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

((((((( hugs)))))))))) :'(

9. jedders

jedders New Member

so sorry for your loss

10. SIERRA

SIERRA New Member

you did the right thing, MyTeDun is WRONG. They all needed to have closer. What they did is what they do in the wild. All Of our horses were allowed to say good bye. RIP Smokey

11. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

Different situations have different ends.

My personal horses did not need to see this happen to 18 others (over 6 yrs) that lived on their property for a short amount of time. Totally different so I always made sure they were put up in the barns out of sight.
    They were not companions, they were not pasture mates needing to say goodbye.

Maybe in another time, if it was one of my horses I would have done something different----luckily I have not had to endure that.

I feel for everyone who has had to do this, For most of us these animals dig right into our hearts and souls and it feels like a piece of you has died.

I have bought and sold horses for my personal use- never had to end ones life--- My old guy will be my personal first, he (Rocky) is now 32 and his time, too, will come and I'll see at that time what the situation is------- his pasture companionsDEFINITELY WILL NOT see him get the shot and drop to the ground. I guess they will be allowed to say goodbye (you made sense with that). They have been together and YES they need to know he didn't just disappear. They do need to know he didn't just go off somewhere~

Vicky I'm so sorry for you and Mike! Your horses acted very normal

12. Thank you everyone. There is a big empty spot in our hearts, and in the herd.
    It'll take time, I know.
    Just to clarify - the vet used the shot to put him down, he wasn't "shot" via gun.
    I could not do that.

13. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

I don't think many of us could pull a trigger, when I say shot I meant by a vet. I'm not a hunter either---can't look at an animal and kill it (unless we are out in the middle of nowhere and nothing else to do)

14. kats

kats New Member

Sorry for your loss, its always hard to loose an animal.