Suggestion for writing on boards

Discussion in 'The Loafing Shed' started by snaffle, Feb 13, 2009.

1. snaffle

snaffle Guest

Ok before I start typing.. I want to say I am not pointing fingers at anyone..
    I havent read any posts like this for awhile...

this is only something for you to think about,
    and perhaps understand what it is like for some of us,
    to read a postling.. that runs on non stop,
    with out any breaks..

I find it very difficult to read a post,
    where there are no breaks... (paragraphs) in the entire post, or even very few.

It is much easier and faster ... to read a post that
    is set up like this one.

There are many times I open a postling.. and dont bother to read it.. because it is so long.. and so difficult to follow the lines on the computer..

so please posters.. think about those old foagies like me...
    take a fraction of a second to skip a line... and add a paragraph
    where they should be.

You dont have to use puncuation.. or spell correctly...
    but if you could simply make it easier to read..

I suspect there are more people than I ..
    who would appreciate it.

thank you!

2. BUC

BUC Administrator

Oh no..

you did not..

:th_lol_hitting:

3. Jen

Jen New Member

I believe all of us have our "peeves" about reading posts, mine personally is text speak, I get a very negative connotation about the posters IQ. Fair, probably not.

Many despise the constant use of ....

4. snaffle

snaffle Guest

what is text speaking?

5. Jen

Jen New Member

example

r u @ skool tday? call K? ttyl.

Translation

Are you at school today? Call me Ok. Talk to you later.

6. snaffle

snaffle Guest

ok thanks.

I thought that is what you meant.. but I guess I hadn't seen any of it on boards

7. JenR

JenR Formerly Underworld Queen

Hey now... ;D

I don't think a person should get too worked up over the form of a post on a forum; one shouldn't even get too worked up over the contents of a post on a forum. In the grand scheme of things, posts on forums really aren't all that big of a deal.
    If the content or the format offends thee, then choose to ignore it or at most snigger meaningfully on your end of the Internet spider web -- or respond to said post with your objections to said form and/or content.

Life is too short to drink bad wine.

8. BUC

BUC Administrator

And then there are those posts you have to have a college degree in literature to decipher :D

:th_bolt:

9. Tbitt

Tbitt Most beloved member of MW

I understand what you are saying.

But I also find, if there are too many breaks - or breaks within a sentence it is also confusing to read.

I like complete sentences and yes, breaks after a few sentences.

10. poodlelover

poodlelover Moderator

Even that doesn't always help. :(

11. snaffle

snaffle Guest

jen..

um...
    excuse me but my thread did not say I was 'worked up'

it merely was trying to make a suggestion. I DO want to read my posts that our members write,
    but if they do not know how to correctly write it so it is easy to read,
    a little polite education doesnt hurt.

Do you need a sip of wine this morning? ;)

12. JenR

BUC -- consider it my little way of "getting back at the man" ;D

Tbitt -- yeah, but what are you gonna do about it? Give grammar lessons? How long before you go mad trying to correct the things that drive you nuts?

I find, during moments of deep disillusion and jadedness, that singing the "Fish Heads" song to myself works wonders

Snaffle -- just adding my :th_2cents:
    I find it rather mudane and superflously pedantic to post a lesson on how to post a post-y thing-y. Just sayin'...

13. Tbitt

Is seems as if some people are going "mad" quicker than others................. >:D

We just learn how to deal with it...............or fly past the things that are making us "go mad" at a exponentially greater rate. >:D >:D

14. snaffle

snaffle Guest

Very often there are members who ask for advice or help..
    If their postling is one of those that rambles on ;) without any breaks.
    I simply have to skip it.

.even when I might have some good input for them.

do you really feel that my original thread would have been easier to read,
    if I would have posted it like this:

"Ok before I start typing.I want to say I am not pointing fingers at anyone.I havent read any posts like this for awhile.this is only something for you to think about,and perhaps understand what it is like for some of us,to read a postling.. that runs on non stop, with out any breaks.I find it very difficult to read a post,
    where there are no breaks.(paragraphs) in the entire post, or even very few.It is much easier and faster ... to read a post that is set up like this one.There are many times I open a postling. and dont bother to read it.. because it is so long.. and so difficult to follow the lines on the computer.so please posters.. think about those old foagies like me.take a fraction of a second to skip a line. and add a paragraph where they should be.You dont have to use puncuation.. or spell correctly...but if you could simply make it easier to read..I suspect there are more people than I .who would appreciate it.thank you!"

I don't think anyone should interpret the original post negatively... I would think anyone who doesnt realize how a run on postling could be difficult for SOME of us ;) to follow would appreciate the suggestion.

ya know .. there ARE some of us who have already gone mad >:D

;D

15. Tbitt

Oh...............No................You didn't! >:D

16. Joie

Joie New Member

I've already cross-posted my reponse elsewhere. So, here it goes. Again.

Pot. Kettle. Black.

Personally, I'd MUCH rather read a run on post than one with extraordinarily excessive use of ".."

I often cannot get through your posts, snaffle, because of the constant, inappropriate use of ellipses. It drives me crazy. Crazy. At least, though, I know you are using them to attempt to make it easier to read your posts. :-

Technically, (according to Wikipedia) an ellipsis (or ellipses) should be used to indicate an intentional omission of a word or a phrase from the original text. Other common uses include a pause in speech, an unfinished thought or, at the end of a sentence, a trailing off into silence (aposiopesis).

In my opinion, your post would have read much easier like this:
    "Ok before I start typing, I want to say I am not pointing fingers at anyone. I haven't read any posts like this for awhile; this is only something for you to think about and perhaps understand what it is like for some of us to read a post that runs on non stop without any breaks.

I find it very difficult to read a post where there are no breaks (paragraphs) in the entire post, or even very few. It is much easier, and faster, to read a post that is set up like this one. There are many times I open a post and dont bother to read it because it is so long and so difficult to follow the lines on the computer. So, please, posters, think about those old foagies like me. Take a fraction of a second to skip a line or add a paragraph where they should be.

You don't have to use puncuation or spell correctly, but if you could simply make it easier to read,
    I suspect there are more people than me who would appreciate it. Thank you!"

So, there. I said it. WHEW! Boy do *I* feel better!

17. monizzle

monizzle New Member

18. poodlelover

poodlelover Moderator

Also there is no such word as "postlings".

Just tryin' to help. :angel:

19. JenR

I actually prefer the paragraph format, but it isn't going to drive me (any more) nuts (than I already am) to read it differently. Basically, because 1)this is a forum, not composition class so I don't expect grammatically correct and rhetorically flawless posts -- and even if it's unreadable, then I guess I just won't read that one, or I can always ask the OP to clarify because I can't understand; 2)in keeping with the first reason: I just don't give a rodent's tuckus, as an unreadable post does not make or break my day, and it hasn't caused the sun to explode either -- yet.

As for the OP -- I didn't find it negative; just wondering why go to the bother? it's a horse forum (aka. not a composition class).

20. horsefreak

horsefreak New Member

jenm you are so right on...amen! The corrections are so freaking annoying.