Tail hair - stealing

Discussion in 'The Corral' started by Tbitt, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Tbitt

Tbitt Most beloved member of MW

I keep forgetting to post this! :mad:

The other day I heard that a horse in Illinois had their tail cut off, stolen!

Has anyone heard of this?

I guess the horse was a paint and the tail was down to the ground. They cut it right below the tail bone - taking ALL of the hair.

This pisses me off, it is not easy to get nice tail like that. Plus the violation you must feel having your horse messed with like that!

2. Roherynn

Roherynn New Member

I think it's absolutely dumb that people do this :mad:

3. ihave3

ihave3 New Member

I knew a lady this happened to all the time finally they caught the guys doing it and they were selling it to make fake tails some people suck cause god knows how long it takes to grow a nice long tail.

4. Tbitt

Supposedly this happened not too terribly long ago! :'(

I know a lot of horse people will cut the tails (to sell) before they take the horse to a sale. I seen a few Saddlebreds with this.

I guess there is pretty good $ in it. Heck in today's market, you might get more for the tail then you do the horse......... :eek:

I think Flint and Savannah are safe, their tails are pretty wispy. But Bess and Drifter - I could make some money on those tails!!!!! Hmmmm.......I wonder........... :eek:

5. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

Damn, what will they think of next? You have to have balls to walk up to a horse on someone elses property and cut----

6. desederada

desederada New Member

Just in case ya'll are getting any ideas ;) I have a gun and
    I'm not afraid to shoot your ass if you try to steal my horses tail.

7. JenR

JenR Formerly Underworld Queen

You mean you're not volunteering Mr. Blackie's tail to Chester??? :angel:

8. Rivka

Rivka New Member

Happened where I board . I shareboard the paint who got his tail chopped. Really sad cause he had a beautiful tail. The owner felt terrible. Another horse there got some tail taken as well. This happened a couple of months ago. Whoever did it was pretty brave as the let out is right in front of the house. Happened on a really cold night too.

9. Tbitt

WOW! This is BALZY!

I'm sorry to hear that this is indeed true.

How rude can people be ?!?!

I sure hope they catch the person who did this! I say shave them bald ALL over!

10. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

Des--- I've got the same idea because I sure don't have a guard dog to chase anyone off

Rivka---Where do you board? PM me if you don't want to post it-----I would like to know if they are close because my guys are out most nights

11. Jamik

Jamik New Member

OMG... would you kill somebody? I would. It takes years to grow a tail like that.

12. Shell

Shell New Member

So is there a safe length to keep the tail it prevent this from happening?
    Just wondering if their only taking long tails or is it any hair they can get, and is it mostly certain colors?

13. alljackedup

alljackedup New Member

What is this world coming to? How desperate does one have to be to think, "hey, lets go whack some horse tails?

I would def bring out the good ole shotgun if someone went after Jack with scissors. Makes you wonder if there was some way to make it look as if their tail wasn't as long, just to fend of hair poachers.

14. Shell

Shell New Member

I guess Tbitt's idea of learning braiding would be a good idea. Figure out a braid that takes up a lot of length.

15. pinp

pinp New Member

I'm thinking my do nothing mare, Tini, may have a job yet...

16. Morganfan608

Morganfan608 New Member

It has been a long time since I have heard of someone cutting tails off like that. Did the horses' owner piss someone off?
    The barn I grew up in was an ASB barn. I remember a couple of boarders who were VERY behind in their board.....the horses tails were cut off before they went to auction. Judy Lovell pays pretty well for long, thick tails! BTW, the BO cut them off while braided....makes it easier.

17. BUC

BUC Administrator

I knew someone who swore this happened to their horse. No one was going to convince her she had a tail chewer in her group, even when she was down to just one horse with a tail left :D

Yeah, I know it happens for real sometimes...but I have heard this claim a few times too until someone figures out a horse is the culprit.

18. Rivka

Rivka New Member

It was definitely not tail chewing. Also,The horse's owner is one of the sweetest people, so I am sure it was not revenge. The two horses whose tails were taken were in 2 totally different let outs. Both horses belong to different people. We think it happened before during the summer with 2 other horses. It was not as obvious what had occured.
    Both horses during the summer had flaxen tails. Both more recently had Black/white, gray tails.All 4 horses love people and would have been fairly easy to approach. Although, I would have thought the others would have started up protesting.
    Barn is out near I39 and I80, near Oglesby.

Police were notified and believe me...owner has always been watchful, but now is triply so!

19. luckyleoo6

luckyleoo6 New Member

That's terrible. I would be so angry. All that time to grow it gone to waste.