Talk to me about your dogs....

Discussion in 'KiKi's & Poochies' started by BUC, Jan 14, 2009.

1. BUC

BUC Administrator

Just some general questions on what you think appropriate behavior/training is for your own dog(s). Simple answers are fine, I'm not looking for anything to deep really, just curious how others handle their dogs and training.

Do you crate train?

For what occasions do you crate?

Do you allow yours on the furniture?

Do you allow them to jump up on other people?

Do you allow them to jump up on you?

If they are trained or you are training them to stay down and they jump (on someone else) do you correct them yourself, or ask the person they jumped up on to tell them down?

Do you feed table scraps?

For what actions do you treat? Or do you treat just whenever?

2. lori

lori New Member

Do you crate train? Yes--all young/new dogs with the idea that once they mature/get used to things and no longer have to go into a crate. For some dogs, they might like the "home base" security of a crate, but for most of my dogs it's one corner of the couch or another that is home base, or on or under my bed. I've had one other dog find a different place, he liked the floor of my bathroom closet, and that's the ONLY dog who has ever went in there. Go figure.

Do you allow yours on the furniture? LOL, see above. Really, the only furniture me or my dogs use is a leather couch and my bed. Both can be easily cleaned up.

Do you allow them to jump up on other people? No. It does happen sometimes. I ask people to please be firm with my dogs the second they come in the door. If people aren't putting out the "I LOVE DOGS, CUDDLE ME DOG!" vibe they *usually* don't jump.

Do you allow them to jump up on you? No but I suck at enforcing this with Kady. There is a command for them to put their paws in my hands. Stormy and Kady know it. My little dog, Dixie, tells me I can go screw myself anytime I try to teach her anything.

If they are trained or you are training them to stay down and they jump (on someone else) do you correct them yourself, or ask the person they jumped up on to tell them down? I ask the person to tell them NO, or knee them, and once is usually enough. I really prefer that the person corrects them. If they seem unable to do it and maintain that the dogs have to respect their personal space, I'll put the dogs away.

Do you feed table scraps? Not really. I'll give a bite of meat or egg leftovers to each dog occasionally. I have fruit bats for dogs, so I do share fruits and some veggies with them much more often than giving them anything else. Stormy is thoroughly conditioned to think bananas are the best food ever.

For what actions do you treat? Or do you treat just whenever? I don't usually use treats to train tricks, but give them treats out of the blue--though they must sit to receive a treat. When crate training they get a treat in the crate so they'll eventually learn "crate!" means run in your crate so I don't have to drag your ass in there. That's about all that earns them a treat.

3. horselessnolonger

horselessnolonger New Member

LOL, Ok you already know I sucked at dog training and the little monster trained me!

I flunked crate training. When I am not home I put gates up and he stays in my kitchen. When I am home he is always in the same room that I am in - whether I like it or not. He is normally sitting in my lap so I don't know if that qualifies on the furniture or not. And yes, he does sleep in bed with me - under the blankies and with his head on a pillow...have I mentioned he thinks he is a person??

I do not allow him to jump on me or on other people, he is actually more of a cryer than a jumper anyway. I did go to puppy classes at Petsmart so he knows the basics - he sits, stays, comes (never that far away from me so I don't use this command often), leaves it.

I never feed him any type of table food he has a rather sensitive stomach. He does get treats when he is a good boy and sometimes just because he is just so darn cute!!

4. alljackedup

alljackedup New Member

Do you crate train?
    Yes, but not our new one. he came house trained. He didn't remember what the crate was last week, but is totally comfortable in it now. Goes in there on his own when he's sleepy :)

Only when we ask. He's never just jumped up there. We have to actually call him up, otherwise, he just lays in front of the couch. Same for the beds.

NOOOOO!!!! But his previous owners did, and it's driving us crazy, but we're making progress. Can't have a 70 lb dog jumping up on people.

No way. Get's a knee in the chest when he does. He's made great improvements.

If they are trained or you are training them to stay down and they jump (on someone else) do you correct them yourself, or ask the person they jumped up on to tell them down?
    We usually ask them to do it, but there are those people that think that they don't need to follow the rules, so if they don't then we do.

Nope. The previous owners did this as well. :mad: I hate being stared at while I eat. He doesn't beg and whine, just stares until you're done. He hasn't tried to obscond with anyone's supper, so that's good.

Since he's new to us, we give a treat when he does his duties outside. He also gets treats when he goes in his crate without making us chase him around the house first. :eek: He also gets treats when he "high 5's" us.

5. Tbitt

Tbitt Most beloved member of MW

Do you crate train? Yes

Do you allow yours on the furniture? Yes :-[ (I didn't used to...Why I do now? I don't know!!

Do you allow them to jump up on other people? Yes and No. Do they? Yes! Do I want them to and am I doing something about it? Yes...... :-[

Do you allow them to jump up on you? Yes, when I ask them to.

If they are trained or you are training them to stay down and they jump (on someone else) do you correct them yourself, or ask the person they jumped up on to tell them down? Both.

Do you feed table scraps? Yes.

For what actions do you treat? Or do you treat just whenever? Hubby treats whenever. I treat when I am demanding they do something and they do it! They never get a treat from me without earning it.

Thanks BUC. You just reminded how lazy I have gotten with my dogs.....My Rotties and my Boxer were NEVER allowed to misbehave.........look at me now......... :-[

6. Mass

Mass Senior Member and Masscaster

Do you crate train? Yes

For what occasions do you crate? Depends on how destructive they are and when they grow out of it. Sam is never crated.

Do you allow yours on the furniture? By invitation only. They will not get up there on their own.

Do you allow them to jump up on other people? NO

Do you allow them to jump up on you? If I ask, only.

If they are trained or you are training them to stay down and they jump (on someone else) do you correct them yourself, or ask the person they jumped up on to tell them down? I usually do the correcting

Do you feed table scraps? Sometimes, but mixed in with their own dinner, not right from my plate, so no begging.

For what actions do you treat? Or do you treat just whenever? I treat whenever. I never used treats as reward for training, just lots of praise.

7. April

April New Member

Do you crate train? No

For what occasions do you crate? I used to when we would gone for a while. Now not at all.

Do you allow your dogs on the furniture? Yes

Do you allow them to jump on people. Not on other people or me. He is 80lbs and still growing.

If they are trained or in training do you correct them or let the people they are jumping on correct. I will correct MY dog nobody else. I would not allow some one to correct my son when he was small while I was standing right there. My dog needs to mind ME not just any one. What if some one broke in the house and he went for them and they told him down and he dropped. MY dog MY rules.

Do I feed table scraps. They get meat scraps the next day. Not while we are eating.

For what actions do you treat? When I am teaching him some thing new and just because some times.

I have to say TAZ is an odd ball. I have had German Shepherd dogs all my life and he is different. His mind set andjust over all attitude is not normal for the breed. I have had to step back in my training of him and rethink what to do.

8. poodlelover

poodlelover Moderator

Do you crate train? Little beast is crate trained. Milo never needed to be crated.

For what occasions do you crate? Only when I'm not home.

Do you allow yours on the furniture? Yep. And they sleep on the bed too.

Do you allow them to jump up on other people? Allow would not be the right word, but he does.

Do you allow them to jump up on you? Only when I tell him to because I'm too lazy to bend down to pet him.

If they are trained or you are training them to stay down and they jump (on someone else) do you correct them yourself, or ask the person they jumped up on to tell them down? Both

Do you feed table scraps? Infrequently

For what actions do you treat? Or do you treat just whenever? Mr. McDuff gets a cookie when he comes in from outside and when he goes in his crate. That's pretty much it.

9. Kellysdream

Kellysdream New Member

Doodle BEAGLE
    Harley LAB

Do you crate train? Yes

For what occasions do you crate?when I'm not home or when they are super muddy

Do you allow yours on the furniture?Doodle can get on living room furniture but Harley's too big. The bed YES both of them

Do you allow them to jump up on other people?No

Do you allow them to jump up on you?Only Doodle because he is small. Harley used to and had to break him of it.

If they are trained or you are training them to stay down and they jump (on someone else) do you correct them yourself, or ask the person they jumped up on to tell them down?I correct them

Do you feed table scraps?NO

For what actions do you treat? Or do you treat just whenever?don't normally give treats but every now again and they would have to obey a command

10. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

Do you crate train? Yes. With the intention of allowing them freedome once they mature and show they are able to behave. Chester and MArley are free roaming all the time. Zoiya still get's crated.

For what occasions do you crate? When we are away.

Do you allow yours on the furniture? Um... yes. yes we do.

Do you allow them to jump up on other people? Do we allow them to? No. Do they anyway? Yes.

Do you allow them to jump up on you? We try not to.

If they are trained or you are training them to stay down and they jump (on someone else) do you correct them yourself, or ask the person they jumped up on to tell them down? We will correct them instantly, however we do tell people how to correct them themselves and encourage them to do so.

Do you feed table scraps? Yes.

For what actions do you treat? Or do you treat just whenever? Both randomly and for training purposes.

11. AKPonygirl

AKPonygirl New Member

Yes... always.

Gabby has to be crated at night and when we leave.. she chews EVERYTHING!!! Sadie.. she likes to sleep in the crate but she is safe to let roam the house as she wishes...

They are allowed on specific furniture..

They are SO NOT allowed to jump on us or other people!!! Gabby has a terrible habit of jumping and nipping at your nose.. Sadie is an angel... She gets kneed and gets put in her crate.(she is a work in progress)

I do feed table scraps.. but they get them in their bowl and are not allowed by any means to stare at us when we eat. HUGE pet peeve...

They get cookies randomly and when I am training.

12. Morganfan608

Morganfan608 New Member

Do you crate train? Yes

For what occasions do you crate? Corgi, @ night or when we are gone. Dobe, only when someone comes to the door and ALWAYS when my :th_afrique: friends come over ....she has become quite cranky in her old age, it's not 'the right' solution, just easier on everyone involved.

Do you allow yours on the furniture? I used to...my BF is anal about furniture, so not anymore. Dobe has bladder leakage issues and always sleeps w/my youngest until he falls asleep (on a plastic covered mattress).

Do you allow them to jump on other people? No

Do you allow them to jump on you? No

If they are trained or you are training them to stay down and they jump (on someone else) do you correct them yourself, or ask the person they jumped on to tell them down? Dobe doesn't ever jump on anyone. Corgi, will if you let him, unfortunately, people think he's cute and rarely correct him, so I'll step in. It's most effective if visitors correct him.

Do you feed table scraps? Only the Dobe, only in her food bowl. Corgi has too many food allergies. Dogs are not allowed to stare, drool or beg while we are eating or preparing food....all I have to do is point and they leave the room.

For what actions do you treat? Or do you treat just whenever? After they go outside to do their 'business' and come when called. Corgi has learned that the neighbors feed him and our horses down the driveway have yummy 'smart pills' to eat!

13. 4horses

4horses New Member

Do you crate train? Yes, but only until they are potty trained and my house is in no danger of being eaten alive, then they are out and the crate gets put away until the next puppy. They are given big fluffy beds for their own "space" after that.

For what occasions do you crate? Potty training, chewing while I'm not at home.

Do you allow yours on the furniture? No. Only the cats get that priviledge.

Do you allow them to jump up on other people? Well I don't allow it but with my dog Ruby it's impossible to keep her down. She's like a Mexican jumping bean :th_fluffbunny: when new people come over. I keep trying to break her of it though.

Do you allow them to jump up on you? Only when asked.

If they are trained or you are training them to stay down and they jump (on someone else) do you correct them yourself, or ask the person they jumped up on to tell them down? Both

Do you feed table scraps? No. Absolutely hate begging dogs at the table. Both my dogs quietly go to the other room and sleep while we eat.

For what actions do you treat? Or do you treat just whenever? Everyone in the house get morning treats just because but I do make the dogs do something to earn their milkbone. Other than that I like to use praise as a motivation to do good things. They both thrive on that.

14. snaffle

snaffle Guest

Do you crate train?
    yes

For what occasions do you crate?
    When I leave the house.... at night when I go to bed... when I have grooming dogs in.... sometimes when I have guests

no

no

no

I immediately correct them myself, if I have the feeling she might jump on a visitor, I will ask them in advance.. to give my dog a correction if it happens

sometimes... and it depends on what they are

I give a treat when the go in the crate

15. RickB.

RickB. New Member

Yes

When no one will be home for an extended period of time. At night if I've got a not well housebroke puppy,

Some furniture but not all furniture.

Sometimes they will, but it is not a permitted or acceptable activity.

Usually not.

Both

Occasionally. However, I prefer to wait for Sundays when door to door salesmen/women and religious types make their rounds. Then I encourage the dogs to snack freely.

Good behavior when requested.

If I'm in the mood to just, for no apparent reason, offer a treat, I generally try to get the dogs to do something for which I can offer a treat reward.

16. JenR

JenR Formerly Underworld Queen

I crate train -- it's the easiest way to get a dog housebroken, imho. I crate them at night (if they aren't reliable in the house -- this includes tearing shit up) and I crate when we're away from home (unless dog has proven itself a good dog -- Daisy and Dimaggio are the only ones allowed loose in the house at all times; the BCs get up to too much mischief). We have kennel runs in the back for the Border Collies, because they're happier out there than in the house in a crate; in fact, they're happiest out there period with "visitation" hours inside.

I don't on principle allow dogs on the furniture -- it's more of a discipline thing than any else (it certainly isn't to keep my house nice that's for sure). The kids are bad about allowing them up, and the dogs love to take the advantage. John isn't much better -- once the dog is up there (especially if said dog is one of his personal favorites, then the dog will likely stay there).

Oh, this is the magic question for me! I have such a problem here! I believe in obedience training -- strict obedience training; therefore, no jumping up. But the Border Collies are rotten, smart little frakkers -- they know I won't get after them(as in put the hammer down) in front of people, bastards. I swear they jump up on purpose, the way they sneak a jump up in (you have firsthand experience with this ;)) and then turn to look at either John or I, pissers. My other dogs are a bit better behaved, but they will pester house guests unmercifully too, then again, the kids are notorious for bum rushing and hovering over house guests as well -- maybe I need more houseguests so both would get used to them :- They (kids and dogs) are much better behaved when nobody's around, truly. I've tried having houseguests correct my dogs, but the dogs push the issue -- I think because some houseguests have been the kind to let the dogs wool them to death and give them food directly from their plates. I'll give my hounds credit: they aren't stupid. Houseguests have now come to equal "people we can get away with murder around" (the kids are also guilty of this too)-- maybe I need a couple of tough, disciplinarian houseguests to come over...any takers?
    Even my horses are bad about this sort of crap, now that I think about it...

If they get table scraps, they get them in their bowls, and only if they've been really good while we eat. I don't like dogs who beg at the table and counter surfing/garbage diving is a quick way to my bad side.

I don't really treat all that much -- maybe to start with, with a food motivated dog, learning the basics. From then on it's a every once and a while thing, for doing something.

17. Shadimac

Shadimac New Member

The only things I do that you asked:

I allow him on furniture. (Because we are snugglers!)

I treat only when he does something that I asked him, and an occasional morning before I go to work and I'm feeling overly generous.

No table scraps, crates, etc.

He is not allowed to jump on people, but I do have a "hug" command and that is the one and only time is allowed to jump, and only on me!