The Best part of foaling season

Discussion in 'The Foaling Stall' started by glf01, Feb 17, 2009.

1. glf01

glf01 New Member

My best part of this foaling/breeding season is I don't have to do it :laugh:
    I have been foaling TB mares for to many years now and with the market taking a nose dive I chose to sell my mares and take some time off. Wow this is great. But it's not like I'm doing nothing I still have 6 horses here.
    So for all of you waiting on little ones my heart goes out to you

2. Joie

Joie New Member

I LOVE foaling out mares. LOVE it...and I only have one this year to foal at home. I don't know what I am going to do with all of that sleep and free time :)

3. Shannon

Shannon New Member

Im with Joie- I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE foaling out mare. This year, however, I have a mare bred to a Kentucky stallion for the KBIF program... so she has to go to a foaling farm in Ky to foal :( Im going to miss her foaling :(

4. photofinish

photofinish Senior Member

I actually miss foaling. That's ALL I miss about the broodmare thing. But, even sleep deprived and foaling out 40+ mares a year, I loved it. Who knows, I may be doing it again next year... ::)

5. paige

paige New Member

I love it--all the anticipation, the excitement, the adrenaline--my favorite part is when mama and baby first talk to each other

Lets see if I am still happy about it when my extremely opinionated maiden foals this year

6. glf01

glf01 New Member

If you are going to have a TB for racing that mare was not have have left KY after she was bred. They have to remain there year round

7. Shannon

Shannon New Member

Um, NO. Its a Paint (APHA) and for the 2008 Breeding season THEY ALLOWED shipped semen. ::) The mare just has to Foal in Ky. Now for the 2009 and beyond, they have to be BRED and FOALED in Ky, but DO NOT have to live there year round- just like AQHA.