Those converter boxes

Discussion in 'The Loafing Shed' started by snaffle, Jan 27, 2009.

1. snaffle

snaffle Guest

Anyone else have problems hooking up a converter box to your tv?

Geesh.. I bought the wrong connector wires..
    got the right ones..

have hooked up the blasted thing and NOTHING will come in on my tv now.

grumble grumble.

I hate modern technology

2. Shelley

Shelley Senior Member

You'll get nothing but digital signals through your converter box. In my area, only one channel is broadcasting digital so I only get one channel. I'm pissed that they want to push ahead the switch. I'm ready.

3. Jamik

Jamik New Member

I need to get one for my horse trailer tv... or get a new tv.. hmmmm. >:D

4. desederada

desederada New Member

Looks like they are going to delay the switch until June 12th.

5. snaffle

snaffle Guest

I am all in favor of the delay.

My tv guy told me a few months ago that we dont need another antenna.. but he thought we would need some weird addition on the tv antenna tower.

looks like he is right :- and he quoted about $200

I sure dont want anyone to have to climb that tower in the cold weather

6. Shelley

Shelley Senior Member

I'm in the middle of nowhere and get snowy reception of 2-3 channels with rabbit ears. I bought the converter box and an RCA smart antenna. Boy do I get that one digital channel crystal clear. I can't wait for the switch over. We do have direct tv on our main boob tube but not the bedroom tv.

7. DENNIS

DENNIS Member

I dont know why you would need anything special. I just hooked mine up and it worked fine. You need to let it search for all active channels. It also has an on off switch on the side you need to turn on. I found this out the hard way.

8. Roherynn

Roherynn New Member

We have one, and it sucks. We only get a few channels in, and we needed to buy a new antenna to help it work...doesn't help it that much. :mad:

I can't stand how it gets when there is no reception...I would rather deal with static than the dumb tv bleeping and freezing up.

I'm just going to buy a new tv and hope that works better.

9. cudabear

cudabear New Member

We bought 2. the first one didn't work with a crap, didn't get ch 7 or 11 (which are clear in analog). Then BF went out bought next one, much better. Still doesn't get ch 11 but gets everything else.

He did lots of research. Many people recommended the pass through model, that way you get analog and digital plus it allows the Dish (analog signal) to pass through too.

The modals we have are:
    1.) RCA STB77666G1 = not that good bought it at Target
    2.) Digital Stream DTX9950 = better, bought at Radio Shack

In his research Zenith was the best (excellent picture and easy to use), the Digital Stream is suppose to be the same difference.

10. syndiego

syndiego New Member

Breaking news - the bill to delay the conversion was voted down by the house.

BTW, if you have the convertor box you can start using it right away. I did find that some, but very few, channels are not broadcasting digital yet, is the only catch.

11. snaffle

snaffle Guest

Well crapoola.

I have spent the last hour trying to connect the blasted converter box AGAIN!!
    still no picture.

I guess I WILL have to hire a tv repair person to come out here and install whatever it is that needs to be added to my tower/antenna.

If an antenna is too old.. I dont think they are working with the converter box.

12. Roherynn

Roherynn New Member

Some old antennas will work...ours got a majority of them, but we were not getting all of the channels, so we bought a new one. Still not getting all of the channels.

13. snaffle

snaffle Guest