Tricks for picking up leads

Discussion in 'The Carrot Stick' started by horsefreak, Feb 9, 2009.

1. horsefreak

horsefreak New Member

The dun mare I sold last fall would not pick up her left lead up for anything yesterday. What ques do you all use when you have a horse that's not getting it? Now she was just pulled out of the pasture from a three month break, I would have done things a little different if I was the one working her, but I just need a couple tools to help this kid get her horse working with her.

2. TwistedWire

TwistedWire Guest

My best 'trick' is Dr. Dan ;)

3. Cadence

Cadence New Member

Assuming there isnt a pain issue.... How are you asking her? Have you tried asking her while coming out of a corner? On a circle?

4. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

Will she pick it up free lunging and on a lunge line?
    How is she for her right lead? Quick response? Steady pace? Balanced?

Assuming you've ruled out poor saddlefit and pain related issues, I'd go abck to square one and do more ground work.
    Be sure she isn't dropping her shoulder when you ask and as Cadence, use the curve of a corner or circle to your advantage.
    Be sure the rider isn't tipping forward to "help" as this only makes it harder for the hrose to lift the front end for the first stride.

5. horsefreak

horsefreak New Member

Thanks for the ideas...

First time out for the year, 14 year old rider...seams kinda soon to jump to that.

Yes we tried the corners, tried lifting her inside rein to pick up her shoulder.

She did not lunge her, that was my next thought however I kinda thought the baby had had enough for the first day out of the season and the rider was getting frustrated and I didn't want her taking it out on the horse. Perfect for her right lead yes, quick and steady, pretty balanced for a 4 year old. Will def check on the dipping.

Keep the ideas coming! She is mostly trail rode, so given the choice most of the time, to use the lead she wants to use, she may have more strength on the right. She does have new saddle this year, the last saddle they used on her last year seamed to be pinching her, so we're working on better saddle fit.

6. JenR

JenR Formerly Underworld Queen

Are the horse's hips swinging in or out? And if the shoulders are straight, good, but 1)is the horse bent in the line of travel (and honestly -- not in the neck, but in the ribcage with the loins flexed), 2)are the shoulders up?

I'd do a lot of flex/counter flex work at the trot and a lot of transitions between walk and trot to help build up the topline -- and make sure the transitions are straight and the flexion work is supple and no "fishtailing".

Try taking the outside rein, do some flex/counter flex work at the trot, and half halting, then set up for the transition to canter (don't do anything too much with the reins other than keep the horse soft and supple and connected). Pick up the canter with the usual cue, but keep the inside leg at the girth a little bit harder as a support. Not so hard that it disturbs the line of travel or causes the wrong lead (which it might to begin with until things get figured out) just "there", and get the horse bending around it.

7. Roherynn

Roherynn New Member

Is this a recent occurance?

8. desederada

desederada New Member

Leg Yield out of a circle.

9. horsefreak

horsefreak New Member

ok wow this makes me want to go out and work on this right now....thanks... ;D I wanted to explain that I was having her shift her weight to the right seat bone...but all I could come up with was me telling her to shift her weight to her right butt cheek...guess I better brush up on my terms.