Turnout rugs -- opinions

Discussion in 'The Corral' started by JenR, Jan 6, 2009.

1. JenR

JenR Formerly Underworld Queen

Well, I just got done posting about how I'd cleared out stuff, was down to the bare bones essentials and only had my old tired ass turnouts and blankets left.

and I just got done going out to check on the monsters, and Chester and Al have ripped the straps off and put big gigantic holes in their turnouts. Chester's was around his neck ::)

So, looks like I'm going to be buying some more stuff :p

What is the absolute toughest turnout anyone can think of?

Al's was a Rambo -- it had a long and distinguished career, so fairly tough (it still might be salvageable). The one he had previously was a Baker, again, fairly tough.
    Chester's was a Schneider's -- only lasted 2 seasons, and now destroyed beyond all hope of redemption (and we'd had such hopes for it when we got it)

So, has to be tougher than a Schneider's and at least as tough as a Rambo or Baker (bonus brownie points if someone knows of anything tougher -- body armor perhaps).
    I should rent these two idgits to a blanket company as test subjects.

2. Shannon

Shannon New Member

I have a Rambo QH (about $200), and a Rambo delux Turnout (about $350), and they are outstanding blankets. Dually was ROUGH on his blankets when he was stud, and they are still going strong and have had to have no repairs.

3. thmblina1

thmblina1 New Member

The Northwinds by Riders International are now made with 1680 denier. Several of our horses wear them and they are really tough! My gelding was lower in the herd and his held up really well with all the playing that was going on in the herd.

You can buy them through Dover and I believe they are on sale right now for around $140-$150ish

Below is the description..plus they have the 2 year guarantee.

NorthWind Heavy Turnout Horse Blanket
    The highest level of performance. Outer shell of 1680 denier ballistic nylon with a 2-year guarantee against tearing. Shoulder gusset design alleviates pressure and allows freedom of movement. Low bias surcingles, snap and dee front closures. Tail flap, removable elastic leg straps. Fleece wither protection. Imported. With 350 grams poly fill insulation.)

4. SIERRA

SIERRA New Member

the barn I work at one of the boarders just bought one for 170.00 it was torn on the shoulder in 3 days

5. Horsemommy47

Horsemommy47 New Member

Two words:

Wrap Blast

Buy a couple of bottles and paint on your blankets in the usual tearing/biting places.

6. JenR

JenR Formerly Underworld Queen

:D
    that would be the entire rug then -- the straps (chest, belly, leg) have been completely ripped out on that Schneiders

I think I'm going to have to break down and just go with a Rambo and resign myself to replacing the idiot's blankets every 5 years (this may seem stingy, but when you consider the other two have on 7 yr. + old turnouts and they only have a few dings (same with stable blankets), and they don't wear the freaky deaky expensive ones -- well, let's just say the two younger boys are not on my favorites list right now (thank God Chester belongs to Adrienne, and in a short time she can field his expenses; sounds awful of me, but BGA is enough).

Anyone know anything about those Pessoa's?

7. Jen

Jen New Member

Rambo, hands down.

8. Imzadi

Imzadi New Member

Shop for Rambo on ebay...can find them much cheaper. Many of the stores/people that sell them have buy it now/or best offer....MUCH cheaper!

I however second the Northwinds....love the adjustments at the chest/shoulders. We have had several horses rubbed at the shoulders with Rambo's....not with the Northwind. Last time I priced them Rambo was $300.00 + and Northwind is on sale for $150.00

9. monizzle

monizzle New Member

Rambo Wug- the only blanket I will purchase. I've had mine for 3-4 years and not a ding on it.