Turtles....question

Discussion in 'The Loafing Shed' started by thmblina1, Feb 12, 2009.

1. thmblina1

thmblina1 New Member

So I was talking with a few co-workers and we were trying to figure out how do you tell if a turtle is overweight?

Can they no longer pull their head into their shell??

Djangology....do you know the answer to this...I know you have turtles??

2. TwistedWire

TwistedWire Guest

After a quick google search, it does look like they can't pull their parts back in...

Course, that's after a quick google search, but that's what I found.

3. petsitter23

petsitter23 New Member

When a turtle is too fat they have extra flesh that "pooches" out in the arm pits...regradless of if their head is in or out of the shell. Also they can get a "fat roll" near their tail...under it and to the sides of it. Hope that helps.

4. thmblina1

thmblina1 New Member

Thanks for the answers!!!

5. djangology

djangology New Member

You'll rarely see a fat wild turtle, but when people put turtles in tanks too small and feed them daily, they get obese easily.

They'll get fat rolls around each of their limbs and head and it'll actually bulge out of the shell even if their arms/legs are out. Sometimes they'll retract their limbs and not be able to get their feet in. In severe cases, obesity will cause the plastron (bottom part of the shell) to bulge.

6. Shadimac

Shadimac New Member

So, what brought on the question?

7. thmblina1

thmblina1 New Member

A friend at work is thinking about getting a turtle and so suddenly she wondered how much to feed them and if they get fat!! I knew someone would know the answer here!!!

Thanks!