Update on my new Filly's weaning.

Discussion in 'The Corral' started by Tbitt, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Tbitt

Tbitt Most beloved member of MW

I sent a quick note to the people who have my baby (he he - that wounds funny)..........
    I though I'd post a quick update.

That makes me happy!!!!

Why did it make me giggle that the poor old man had to run and run to try to catch the little girl? ...........it is really not funny - but it made me chuckle - and I will definitely tell them that when I go pick her up!!! :-*

So it seems that I will be picking up my little girl on the 7th.......Woooo Hooo.........

Oh, OH,

I have a question for you all:

I want to de-worm her - what do you guys recommend (product and process), and why?

2. MidnightHill

MidnightHill New Member

I have always used panacur on my babies...it isn't as harsh as some of the other wormers - but it is effective.

3. AKPonygirl

AKPonygirl New Member

wow so you will have all kinds of work to do on her when you get her home!! This is exactly how I got my first Morgan gelding!! The breeder had broken her back and could not do any of the weanling handling for a few years.. so Zeb was wild as a March hare!!! She just put him in her aisle way of the barn with the trailer at one in with hay in it and her pushing him at the other end.. she said he went in just fine.. he rode to my house in an open top horse trailer ( :eek: :eek: :eek: ) from Kansas City to waaaay over by the IL/IN border.. she said he never made a peep..

anyways.. it only took me a couple of months (could have done it faster, but why?) and he had gained trust with me enough to allow me to swap halters and lead him around without any fuss.. it was all fun and games after that point! hehe we had so much fun!!

4. Tbitt

This filly is actually pretty sweet.

But I'm not taking chances, she will not be turned out right away. I have a HUGE stall, I can even make it bigger by taking out the wall to the stall next to it, that she will go in. She will not be let outside for a few days.

My pastureas are too big for me to running after her like a fool.

I'm looking forward to my next email from her. She mentioned that she asked her husband if he even tried to go up to the filly with a lead rope - he admitted he had not. She is going to try it to see if that was the problem.

I'm wondering if he just tried to "herd" her in and it made her a bit excited............. >:D ;D

I need to work right away with "tying"...........

5. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

YOu can also use yur indoor for more freedon of exercise while still keeping her confined.

6. Tbitt

I know, I have thought of that too........... >:D Little sucker will not be able to get away............. >:D

7. Ponythief

Ponythief New Member

Woohoo! Sounds like things are going good.

I chuckled as I read it too. I can just picture L out there. ;D

I think once you get her home and in her new environment she is gonna RUN up to you for reassurance. She's seems to have the curious and wanting to trust personality, you will have no problems. :)

8. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

Check with your vet but I would say Panacur----

Do you have any extra panels that you can actually cut your arena in half until she settles in?
    Does she allow anyone to catch her once free to run? How about using a piece of rope and leave it as a catch rope, just in case.

9. Tbitt

We do not have extea panels........... :'(

And I don't know if she let people catch her - I've only met her once....... :eek:

But she is not afraid of people. When released into their "area" she romped aroudn and came up to us several times.

I've seen those short leads (about 1' long).........I need to check ino those, see what they are...........that just might be what I need!

10. Ponythief

Ponythief New Member

Leave a lead on her where it drags on the ground about a foot. It will teach her to give everytime she steps on it and also helps with teaching to tie, as she will have less panic if she pulls back.

just my :th_2cents:
    :)

11. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

Ditto!

12. AKPonygirl

AKPonygirl New Member

not that this is a bad idea or good idea... My mentors used to do this with ALL of their babies... but..

I will never again leave a lead rope on a horse..

While I worked at AZ Equine in Phoenix.. we had to put 2 foals down because they got spooked bad enough that they ran and somehow got the rope stuck on something and it flipped them over... one broke its back.. the other, its neck.. one of the vets told me later that they get several cases like this a year..

just be careful.. that's all...

13. Tbitt

I totally see what you are saying AKPonygirl.

I do know accidents happen. I tend to over analyze things and am usually over cautious.

When I read that suggestion, my first thought is "I'd only do that in the arena"........(ours is pretty much empty :-[)

But thanks for the word of caution..........

14. AppyGSP

AppyGSP Senior Member

I made a 3' one out of a cotton leadrope and used it on my colt, ONLY when we were home and I could check on him every 1/2 hour or so. It really teaches them to "give" to pressure and not panic. He just figured it out for himself....

15. Morganfan608

Morganfan608 New Member

.....could leaving a cotton lead on them be dangerous? Yeah.....but like PT and ET said, it allows them to 'teach' themselves. Which, IMHO, is always the BEST way to learn a lesson.....hasn't killed Bob the wonder pony.....yet......he's 18 and still drags his lead around. ;D Like anything else, you do what 'works' for you, within your comfort zone.

16. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

Yeah.
    Should have clarified my thoughts, I've done this but only in a clear space(arena) and never un attended.
    Not to say I stood there and watched the entire time, but turn baby uot with lead, go out of line of sight (do a chore, eat a sandwich... whatever), then reapproach. Usually only takes a day's worth of sessions for them to be seeking you out and come greet you clamly.

17. Tbitt

This is what I want! :-*

How silly is it for me to be this excited about her?

I have no clue, really, how she will do showing..........but I want to try this, I've wanted to try this for a while.........

But, I also know that I don't know crap about rearing no baby.......... :eek: So.....ya..........EquusT, when ya coming over to help? >:D

I do have a friend who will help me with some stuff - but it is not their job to raise my baby...............besides, I don't want to burn them out.. ;)...... So, Ya, I think I just came to the conclusion that Equust should also help me............>:D *!*!*!*

18. JenR

JenR Formerly Underworld Queen

Verdict is out on leaving a lead rope on them -- some people swear by it, some people call it teh devil. I've had both -- we never even left halters on our sporthorse babies and they ran in a small herd and never came inside the first two years of their lives; to work with them we had to halter and lead them in -- made for some fun times at first, but we never had issues with them after a while and they accepted leading and tying and all manner of stuff on the ground as a matter of course by their yearling year (and since they weren't halter horses we didn't have to take it any faster).

The mustang filly came with a halter and lead rope attached, and you couldn't get in to take it off for the first two weeks. I always worried about her hurting herself, but when you can't get within 10 feet of a horse, well, at least she had the sense and luck to not get up to anything. It certainly made it easier to catch her after week two -- when you could get within grabbing distance of the rope, but I did feel better when the halter and what not came off.

19. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

I would LOVE to come help!

What discipline do you plan to show in?
    Obviously halter as a baby, but once she grows?
    Saddle seat? Western pleasure? Hunters? Dresage? Driving?

20. TwistedWire

TwistedWire Guest

You're gonna have so much fun with her-I can't wait to 'watch' her grow up through your online upates!

Just one piece of caution: Baby feet kick fast ;)