Vacuum cleaners....need opinions!

Discussion in 'The Loafing Shed' started by Margot7, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Margot7

Margot7 New Member

Bagless or bags....what are your thoughts. I've always used bags, but bagless sounds appealing, curious what others experiences have been. Thanks in advance.

2. WindyKnollFarm

WindyKnollFarm New Member

The canisters on my bagless get sooooo filthy, dusty, most times I would like to go back to a bagged vaccuum. I spend time blowing the canisters out with the air compressor in the garage, or actually washing them in soapy water and letting them dry.

I remember that bags felt like a chore too, but I think that I would like to just toss the bag and be done. (I have a friend who "reuses" her bags....talk about work!)

Just my 2 cents. ;)

3. Margot7

Margot7 New Member

Thanks WK, that's the type of info I'm looking for before I make a decision...

4. poodlelover

poodlelover Moderator

I feel the same as Windy and when I bought a vaccuum two years ago I bought one that takes bagged. Had bagless before that and it was always filthy.

5. alljackedup

alljackedup New Member

Filthy or not, my bagless (paid $500) is ALWAYS clogged up. The hoses are all bent at such severe angles, that we are constantly having to take them apart and unclog them. We're looking for a good bagged one again. Switching out the bags, is much easier than having to take the whole thing apart every other time you sweep.

6. SIERRA

SIERRA New Member

;D mines in the wall

7. horsefreak

horsefreak New Member

I have a Bissell cheap-o bagless and like it, but with two cats and three dogs in the house I have to empty the bag a each time I vaccum and it's a pain. I had a different model and it was always clogged with hair, this one isn't so bad.

8. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

LOVE my Dyson Animal.

9. jjones

jjones New Member

10. Cadence

Cadence New Member

Dyson or Miele Bags or bagless both are a pain!!!

11. Tbitt

Tbitt Most beloved member of MW

I have the bagless and LOVE it!

But I can't remember what kind I have. No matter what, they don't make them like they used to .........it will crap out on you in a few short years..........

Knock on wood, I've had mine for about 5 yrs now :eek: *!*!*!*

12. susiebk

susiebk New Member

purple dyson animal vac....bagless....every few months I turn it over and clean out the brush on the bottom (gets clogged up with fur and such)....works GREAT!

13. snaffle

snaffle Guest

twistedwire is a distributor for Electrolux..
    I have an upright and love it.. however some day I plan to have a canister again.

They are bag vacuums.

Please notice..that when you see Electrolux sold in stores...those are NOT the
    original electrolux with the high quality your grandmother had.

The owner of the company, sold it to someone else along with the name.
    bummer..

If you want an electrolux with the old fashioned quality..
    you need to look for AERUS Electrolux

14. asuits

asuits New Member

Dyson - there's just no comparison...

15. sandburs

sandburs New Member

I feel the same. Hated my bagless, then went and got a Kenmore, Progressive, Intelliclean, and absolutely LOVE IT!!! With 2 cats and 3 dogs in the house, it is awesome. The first few times I used it the dirt and hair that came out of my carpet was disgusting!! And has the dirt sensor feature that tells you when the carpet is clean. Compared it to the Dysons, and price wise and features liked it more, and now after using it would highly recommend it to everyone with animals in the house. Bags last about 3 weeks, but I have 2 long haired dogs, 2 long haired cats and one short haired dog, and three kids, so I vacuum A LOT!!

16. Shell

Shell New Member

We use my bf's bagless, and it grosses me out every time it gets emptied. All the dust and dirt that goes flying in the air when pouring it in the garbage. Makes me feel like I need my inhaler.

I had an upright Oreck. Loved that vacuum! It was given to me when a family member offered it. They sold their cottage and already had one at home. It needed to be looked at and a piece in the motor was replaced after a few years that I had it, it did finally die, but it was 20+ yrs old.

17. Margot7

Margot7 New Member

So I'm thinking I'll stick with bags....bagless sounds pretty messy. Thanks for all the info. I haven't decided on a brand yet....still researching. Everyone that has a Dyson seems to love it.

18. WindyKnollFarm

I believe, I could be wrong, but a good bagless will actually be better if someone has dander allergies, etc too. As you shake out the canister, all that cr*p floats in the air...but with a bag, you just toss the bag, and you've tossed the mess and allergens. Maybe....perhaps.....unless like at my house, the garbage is always full and when I'd shove the bag down into the trash, all the dust would spray out in my face....ah, the good old days. ;)

19. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

This is why you don't dump it in the kitchen garbage!
    Walk it outside to your garbage and dump it there!

20. WindyKnollFarm

...but it's tooo far of a walk...and I just wanna get the vaccuuming finished! <whine whine> ;) ;D