What would you have done?

Discussion in 'Ask The (wannabe) Vets & Farriers' started by snaffle, Feb 4, 2009.

1. snaffle

snaffle Guest

Sunday morning when I went to the barn, I saw a gate open that should have been closed.

I knew instantly that stupid me didnt latch it.. and the mini ..
    got into the aisle of the barn,

WITH THE FEED!!

I saw a bale of hay that had been his delight for a long time..

I checked the ears of corn in a bucket.. and felt that he munched on a couple

I couldnt help but worry about the corn cob bedding that was in a bucket.

I could tell he munched on it.. but not more than a few bites.
    In a 265 pound mini, a few bites could be a lot. right?

I saw that he flipped the lid off of the cracked corn for the chickens.. but the level was so low he couldnt reach it to eat any, and he was obviously full enough from the hay that he didnt get frustrated and push it over.

He didnt get into the Cool Command bag of feed that was open.

He ate a little cracked corn (on the floor of a stall matt )that the chickens nibble on.

When I found him, He was already standing outside.. tummy full and he was not hungry.

So what would YOU have done?

Later, I will tell you what I did... and did not do..
    and the results.

2. Joie

Joie New Member

I would have called my vet and asked him what he thought I should do...or not.

3. BUC

BUC Administrator

I would have done a basic vitals exam and check for hoof heat. If he didn't show any signs of distress I would keep a watchful eye out for water intake and poop outage. If and when I saw distress I would have phoned a vet. But I also know that my mini could eat the rear out of a cow and live through it.

4. Ponythief

Ponythief New Member

"So what would YOU have done?"...........

I would have not left the gate unlatched ;D ;) :D

5. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

I would have kept an eye on him, called the vet to let them know you might be having an issue make sure, double check those darn latches--- I've done the same thing but all my feed is locked in a separate room. They destroy bales of hay when they get loose.

I have one that is an escape artist and must have a second snap lock on his door--- He gets out and has actually let his buddy out to join him in the destruction of the barn.

Thank goodness he is ok Snaffle! You were lucky

6. Imzadi

Imzadi New Member

I would have had him oiled, given bute, and restricted movement.

7. SIERRA

SIERRA New Member

;D I would have beat his ass!

8. Imzadi

Imzadi New Member

Yup....that too!!!

9. sandburs

sandburs New Member

Already been there and done that, lol.

If no signs of discomfort or heat in his feet, then keep him under close watch for 24 hours. If he had heat in the feet, which ours did already, and this was on 1 scoop of sweet feed, ice his feet, oil immediately, and give banamine. Ours came through with no after effects, no founder issues, and no rotation whatsoever. He is a perfectly sound onery riding pony still. The oil and the ice are the 2 most important in my opinion on a pony overeating. But we can oil ourselves so it can be given immediately, no waiting for the vet to arrive. Time is the enemy if they start to founder.
    Hope all is well with him!

10. HorseFarm

HorseFarm New Member

That is what I did with our haflinger who has busted through the gates, fences and whatever else maybe trying to hold her when she decides she wants to wreak havoc in the feed. She has gotten into the sweet feed, goat feed, cat food, chicken feed and cattle feed at different times. First I beat her ass with the cattle sorting stick as she runs back for the pasture to stand there with this look of "you didn't see me out there". Then I just keep a close eye on her for a couple of hours, and then periodic checks on her for about 24 hours. She has never shown any signs of discomfort (except for when the stick would make contact with her big ass), and she has never been lame a day in her life. I did tell the vet about her getting into the feed, and he would joke about maybe I'm not feeding her enough, and she feels the need to seek out more food. Doesn't she look under fed to you. ;)
    [​IMG]

Now our small pony she doesn't get that adventurous, as she usually has her head stuck in the round bale.

11. mrponies

mrponies New Member

I wouldn't worry about him eating the corn cob bedding. My barn recently switched to it because of the shavings shortage. My horses had to be moved to wood pellets because they were eating it by the 40 lb. bag. I couldn't figure out why my stalls were so bare...they'd polish off a bag over night. ::) Granted, they aren't minis, but the manufacturer says that it's like forage and won't harm them.

Over the last month, I think my horses have consumed about 120 to 160 lbs. of the corn cob bedding...each. They're fine.

12. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

So..
    Snaffle..
    you ever..
    gonna share..
    what YOU did..
    for this situation?

13. TwistedWire

TwistedWire Guest

No kidding!!!

Mrponies-yes, that's right-they use feed grade cobs-no cobs that would have been out in elements to start molding, etc. That being said, I still don't think it's good for horses that eat them because of the expansion factor. I suppose it's like horses that eat straw; straw is great bedding for most, but not for those that eat it.

14. April

April New Member

And with held water so it had less chance to break down in the tummy.

15. snaffle

snaffle Guest

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

didja all think that I forgot about this thread?

huh??

:nana:

well guess what??

I DID !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ::)

Ok.... so here is what I did:

first as I said.. I assessed how much he probably ate.

A few ears of corn were destroyed...
    a few mouthfuls of cob bedding.
    (this had me a bit concerned because I have experimented with the cob bedding by adding water to a dry quart to see how much it would exand )
    For a 265 pound mini, I was a bit concerned with ...
    how much is too much?

The majority of what he ate that morning was hay. It was probably a blessing that the little piggy found the hay when he first made his way into the barn, because he ate as much as he wanted before he ventured further. :p

I found him back outside... standing in the snow...
    not in the least bit hungry.

I checked him over...
    then put a halter on him and walked him up and down the driveway to see if there was any stiffness... or reluctance.. which there was not.

I next phoned my vet..
    discussed the situation with her..
    she told me that impaction was the concern.. and ran the protocol past me (oiling ect)
    I then asked her what SHE would do if her were HER horse, and she replied ...
    exactly what I was hoping..
    keep an eye on him.

I got a fresh bucket of water, and put it and he in a pen next to the horses. I knew he would walk that fence line all day.. because of the horses on the other side. I did not want him confined and not moving. I did NOT give him any hay.

At 4 :00 he had pooped 4 times... and paced a lovely path along the fence line.

I gave him 1/2 of his normal night time feed (hay).

He is just fine.

16. doc T

doc T New Member

Please don't do this. Just a suggestion.

17. April

April New Member

That was per my vet after my mare are 50 pounds of equine senior. Ended up with no founder or colic.

18. doc T

doc T New Member

Like I said....just a suggestion. I like to say that just because nothing bad happened, doesn't mean it was the right thing to do.

I am not saying that I have all the answers, and to pretend that there is one "correct way" to treat a horse in this situation is absurd, I was just joining in. I have justification for my suggestion, but once again, it is only that, a suggestion.

19. syndiego

syndiego New Member

I'm trying to understand the reasoning for this ??? You mentioned "so it had no chance to break down in the tummy". There's no way there was 50 pounds of grain in his stomach, is there? Not disputing, just interested. I would think you'd be really pushing the fluids to get things to move on through.

20. April

April New Member

It was brand new unopened bag. How she got it over the manger I will never know. And no there was not 50 lbs in her tummy. I scraped up a 3lb coffee can of grain she did not eat. He oiled her so the grain would go on out the back and not break down in her system. He said the water would help it break down and I had a better chance of founder. I wanted to give her water but he said to hold it and watch her closely with hand walking every hour. This mare has a cast iron gut. Some of the things she has eaten and not died from gives me night mares.