When does everyone.....

Discussion in 'Ask The (wannabe) Vets & Farriers' started by alljackedup, Feb 26, 2009.

1. alljackedup

alljackedup New Member

put shoes back ON after pulling for the Winter. Just curious.

Jack is okay with having shoes on his fronts all the time, but Cody is notorious for throwing his right hind shoe. Every friggin time!!! It doesn't matter what kind of shoe we use, how they're nailed in, the fart throws it within DAYS of having him shod. :mad: His feet are so soft that we have to keep shoes on all 4's ALL spring summer and fall. I've had him on hoof supplement for about 8 months now, hope it's helping. I know it takes a lot longer than that to see a difference though.

I finally got ahold of my farrier today, after realizing that it's not his number that I've left 4 messages with.... ::) :-X I was beginning to get really pissed. Thought I would try him 1 more time today, and low and behold he answered and said that he wondered where the hell I'd been.

Anyway, he wanted to know when I wanted him to put their shoes back on, and I told him t let me think about it.

Just wanted some opinions. How far into Spring do you guys wait to hav them put back on?

2. whoaboy

whoaboy Senior Member

I just had all mine trimmed today and did not put shoes back on, I plan to do that next trim, so that would put me into April. They have been barefoot since November.

3. alljackedup

alljackedup New Member

Mine have also been barefoot since November. Have to put front shoes on the draft, cause when I got him, he had a split on the front, and 4 farriers later, it's finally barely visible. YIPEE!!!

Don't know what to do about Cody. Guess he's just got shitty feet, so we do what we can.

Farrier is coming out next Thursday, so I'll just see what he has to say. He's not one to have me put shoes on if they don't need them. He's great like that. Glad I finally found him. ;D

4. horsefreak

horsefreak New Member

We do shoes the first week of May. Much time before that the ground (if not muddy) is not real hard yet. I get a couple trail rides on them bare foot, then they are ready for a trim and shoes by Mother's day.

5. AppyGSP

AppyGSP Senior Member

Anywhere from mid to late April or early May, then off late November or early December.

6. Susan

Susan New Member

Right before my anual October trail ride in MO. then they come off at the next appt.

7. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

I pull Yogi's shoes end of October and put back on mid April

8. ihave3

ihave3 New Member

On in May and off in Nov.

9. Tbitt

Tbitt Most beloved member of MW

My horses have neked feet!

I do have a couple sets of boots, we put them on only a few times a year.

My guys have tough feet, but I don't want them tore up in REAL rocky areas.

10. STARSKI

STARSKI New Member

Star stays barefoot all the time. If I think I'm going to be trail riding I prefer shoes on her so she doesn't get tender.

11. RickB.

RickB. New Member

In my custom, it depends on the horse, the job description, living conditions, etc. Some of the horses are shod year round, others get the shoes pulled for the winter and back on later in the spring, etc. Most all of the horses in my custom that are going to be shod in the spring, get shoes before the ground turns to concrete and the flies start biting.

12. Shelley

Shelley Senior Member

I put shoes back on my guy on Feb 24th. Wishful thinking but down here the weather gets better earlier than the rest of the state. Tomorrow it will be in the upper 60s and I'll be taking him out for his first trail ride in 2009.

I tried the barefoot route but his feet wore out because I rode so much. I tried easy boots but after 3 months and a bleeding blister, I decided I could not tolerate it anymore. We are both happier when he has regular shoes.

13. Peggy Sue

Peggy Sue New Member

Mine are going back on April 17th :) Well Sassy wears shoes year round but Moosa Man will get his fronts put back on next time round,Lazy will depend on how much work is left on the house :)

14. alljackedup

alljackedup New Member

Well, it looks like my 2 guys are getting theirs on the 15th of April...for the ride ;D

15. AppyGSP

AppyGSP Senior Member

My guy is getting shod on;

April 10
    June 12
    July 31

Farriers love when you schedule them way in advance.