Who else works their trail horses in arenas too to work ALL their gaits?

Discussion in 'Happy Trails' started by AppyGSP, Feb 4, 2009.

1. AppyGSP

AppyGSP Senior Member

I work on all their gaits during the week, then trail ride them on weekends. Many strictly trail riders don't bother with arena work. Granted, it is boring, but when you're working on specific things, it's rewarding to see/feel the improvements they make.

2. AppyGSP

AppyGSP Senior Member

I guess me, Horsefreak, and Angellou are the only ones, huh?

3. lori

lori New Member

Who else is regularly trail rides? I don't.

4. sandburs

sandburs New Member

We do, all our horses trail ride, but are also show horses. From the pleasure mare to the speed mare, all trail ride awesome, and know their job in the arena as well. All ours are started as trail horses, and then worked in whatever directions they are to go. We have found it to make a much better all around horse for sure.

5. horsefreak

horsefreak New Member

I agree I like to start them all on trail and then see where they go from there...

6. syndiego

syndiego New Member

I don't have an arena. But that doesn't stop me from "training" on the trail....yielding to leg, half halts, WTC, etc.

7. lori

lori New Member

lol--I don't have a trail or the time to haul to one very often at all. But the horses are good on the road, good in the field, good at different showgrounds--they are the same animals on a trail. As far as they are concerned, trails are showgrounds with a few more trees and a little bit more uphills and downhills. To me, trail riding is boring (sorry), arena work is fun, and I don't mean competing, or speed work. I'd be more entertained w/t/c circles in a arena or long trotting down the road than trail riding mostly at a walk.

I am pretty sure my problem (with thinking trail riding is boring) is that I've never combined alcohol and trail riding, and that is why I'm not entertained by it, but I'll probably remedy that situation sooner or later. I think the right group of people (it's always been just us or a BIG group) would make it more fun--so I keep trying it out.

8. sandburs

sandburs New Member

We do the same, working on transitions, you name it.

Lori we are lucky and can ride out the back of the property to trails, and we do not just plod along on the trails, lots of trotting and loping, and we have fun every time, even when it is just me and the kids. But we also hit the deer trails and 4 wheeler trails, you name it, steep hills, etc. And no alcohol involved. A lot of people around here like to mix trails and alcohol and I have seen the end result of a few. Not pretty.

9. Peggy Sue

Peggy Sue New Member

My husband built me a smallish square pen to ride in at home big enough to walk trot lope and do some circles in... mine are worked in it at least twice a week weather permitting

10. BUC

BUC Administrator

I think I can arrange a ride this summer that will entertain you quite well ;)

11. TwistedWire

TwistedWire Guest

I'm a bit with Lori here.

I really enjoy trail riding, but arena stuff is most enjoyable. Although, I have permission to ride in the field around my house since the corn is out. I'll take that over arena work-I really like cantering down the corn rows.

But, I don't take horses out like that that I don't trust in an arena.

12. lori

lori New Member

I know--I will maintain a completely open mind about this trail riding thing thru to the April trip and then you guys can show me how to do it right. :angel:

13. BUC

BUC Administrator

Oh yeah, LOL. I had a different ride in mind too with more unscrupulous people who probably wouldn't fit in to well on the MWH ride >:D

14. Shell

Shell New Member

Don't you guys forget your red lipstick!

15. AppyGSP

AppyGSP Senior Member

I rarely drink and ride and am usually the only sober one in a big trail ride and hold people's beer while they get back on their horse from peeing for the 5th time. But trail riding with friends is more fun than you arena people would think. The views are scenic and relaxing, while chatting away (especially if you ride with Angellou or Eirene16 :p ). It all depends on who you ride with.... Oh, and trail riding IS more fun if you wear red lipstick... (too funny, Shell)

16. whoaboy

whoaboy Senior Member

To me, arena work is like running on a treadmill, you go nowhere, the scenery never changes, yet you are moving. Why not see something and actually go somewhere? That is why I like trails, plus it is mentally challanging trying to find your way back, so there is some adventure in trail riding. Can you find adventure in an arena? I don't think so! Course, can you find any beauty in an arena? I ride with others and of course enjoy it but really like riding alone because you really get in tune with your horse, something that I have never gotten while doing circles in an arena. I can only do so much arena riding and then I am bored out of my skull and so are my horses.

17. AppyGSP

AppyGSP Senior Member

Right! I don't do ALOT of arena work because of that reason and my horses are all well-broke (except for one that needs cantering).

18. Tbitt

Tbitt Most beloved member of MW

This is a bit miss leading..............Yes there are a lot of people who do drink on rides - but there are also a lot of people who don't drink on rides.

Some do drink to excess - most do not. (Well, at least the rides I go on). Most of the people I ride with do NOT drink at all on trail. Now back at camp - after all the riding is over..............that just might be a different story........... :D

19. syndiego

syndiego New Member

There are "trail riders" and then there are "people who ride on trails". I mostly trot, with some cantering. My bum starts to hurt with too much walking. Beer on the trail would get too shook up, and we can't have that.

20. AppyGSP

AppyGSP Senior Member

My drinking depends on which horse I have, whether it's one of my "beer" horses that's very well-broke and used to peoples' hooping and hollering and singing...