Who here have taken on-line classes?

Discussion in 'The Loafing Shed' started by Shelley, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Shelley

Shelley Senior Member

Tomorrow I'm going to sign up for an on-line course in medical terminology. I have never taken an on-line class. How do they work? Do you work at your own pace? Do you have to sign on during a particular time and watch some teacher talk? Do on-line classes differ in how they work?

I'm just curious as to how this works.

thanks

2. countrycatt

countrycatt New Member

Online classes can be difficult, at least for me they were because I really needed one-on-one instruction.

Basically there is an online program through the school that you sign into (everyday if possible, just in case the teacher posts any announcements you need to know about), and the syllabus will state due dates, etc. The good thing about online classes is that you don't have to "go to class," but you do need a book that you read and complete assignments with when you have the time.

Online classes allow for flexibility with time management, but do require a lot of self-discipline because you don't have a person that's telling you to complete things on time, etc. Tests are completed online, usually in a multiple choice format.

Hope this helps!

3. AKPonygirl

AKPonygirl New Member

I took some Pharm Tech. classes online.. I LOVED them!! I went to school in my PJ's 9 times out of 10!!! LOL You do have to be a self motivator and trust yourself not to cheat on the tests.. I liked the discussion board the best... lots of good ideas and things.. OOOH we also wrote alot of papers on terminology and drug reactions and such.. I liked it anyway...

4. kats

kats New Member

I took several and loved them, especially with young children at home. My one class I had to go to the school and test, it was 4 times during the semester and you have a 3-4 day window to take the test during the schools testing hours (lots of people in a little room all doing different tests). Several of my classes I never had to leave the house to complete. Just make sure you check in everyday, if you have a good instructor its a good experience, but like anything there are bad instructors also and that makes the class really hard.

5. lori

lori New Member

I think I just took 1 online course. They can vary how they are set up. Some you can go at your own pace. I don't think very many have sessions where you watch a teacher talk over the internet--the tech support issues would be such a PITA! (Although the local community college offered tele-courses using your TV for years.)

God, it's only been a few years but I took a physics class online and can barely even remember how the class worked. There was assigned reading from a textbook. I had to do weekly homework and a quiz online. I believe both were multiple choice though there is no reason it couldn't be set up to be short answer or essay or whatever. I think I had to go in for the midterm and final. The teacher also had office hours which I had to go to every damn week because me and physics don't get along. Lots of other online courses include things like discussion bulletin boards (I went to school way back in the dark ages of this) and other stuff where you sort of interact with your fellow students...

6. susiebk

susiebk New Member

I took the complete M-Tec program on line and via snail mail. It was a hybrid course. It taught medical transcription. I graduated in 2000. I had 4 job offers before I even completed the course........but it did require a lot of comitment on my part as well...here's a link to their site....

http://www.mtecinc.com

Good luck learning medical terminology:) Some times it can be a tongue twister!

7. luckyleoo6

luckyleoo6 New Member

I agree with Countrycatt.

I didn't do very well with mine, I have a photographic memory, and being in a classroom really helps. I did one when I was pregnant, and dd was born at 28 weeks. My teacher was an ass when it came to making up work. It was a credit course, so I really needed the grade.

I did like it just cause it was so flexible.

Medical terminology is pretty easy, it's mostly memorization. Though, like Susiebk said, some are tongue twister!

8. Shelley

Shelley Senior Member

Well, I signed up today. They wouldn't let me pay because they raised tuition and didn't have the computer system set up for the increase yet. I found that strange. Some other stuff they require for the nursing program I'm interested in don't make sense either. It's just like being back in corporate America. :(

I agree the pronunciations will probably be challenging for some of the words. I'm pretty good at keeping a good schedule so budgeting the time to do this won't be difficult for me. I wonder if the text will be partially audio? That to me would make sense. Guess I'll find out in June. I'd like to purchase the book but it's not available yet.

I also hope that the anatomy and physiology classes I have to take will utilize 3D animations. I went to a seminar about colic and they had 3D animation of the equine abdominal cavity. Wow, it was awesome and I remember so much of what is where etc just because I got a great visual. I also know exactly what happened to my horse with his fatal colic. I checked into purchasing the CD but it was $180 and I just can't justify spending that money just because I want to see more. Here is the website about the CD. http://www.3dglasshorse.com/