Why are people so stupid!!(dog attack)

Discussion in 'The Loafing Shed' started by ribbons-ally, Jan 21, 2009.

1. ribbons-ally

ribbons-ally New Member

I have no sympathy for this woman. She was dumb enough to leave her 3 week old twins sleeping on a BED while she cooked dinner. The family Husky killed the one child.

Why is it so hard to put them in a crib, that's what they are for!!!

OK I'm done.

2. Tbitt

Tbitt Most beloved member of MW

WOW!!!!! What?!?!

Is there a news article?

How could she not hear what was going on?

Poor baby!!! That is sickning!!!!

3. ribbons-ally

ribbons-ally New Member

They had a quick news story about this morning on fox. It happened in Bourbonnais.

4. lori

lori New Member

5. Stateline

Stateline New Member

6. ihave3

ihave3 New Member

That is devastating. :'(

7. CBaut

CBaut New Member

8. Kellysdream

Kellysdream New Member

That's awful!!!! :'(

9. JenR

JenR Formerly Underworld Queen

Ugh! Poor babies, stupid mom. Although I do kind of have to wonder about the dog, doesn't sound like a very trustworthy hound. While I never left any of my kids alone with a dog when they were babies, I'd have to say I never had a dog that would have gone out of their way to harm a baby either (no dog that got to stay here any way -- zero tolerance on dogs with kid issues around here).

10. susiebk

susiebk New Member

I know someone that lives on the same block as this family. Apparently (and again, this is all second-hand) the dog was a rescue that had been with this family for over one year. The dog picked up the crying baby by the head and brought the baby to the mom. The family also has another huskie at home. I wonder what possessed the mom to 1) not put the children in CRIBS and 2) leave the dog unsupervised with the children.......I guess we will never know. I know that I would not be able to handle the guilt if this was my child.

There is a wonderful book available to people about dogs and children called Childproofing your Dog

http://www.amazon.com/Childproofing-Your-Dog-Complete-Preparing/dp/0446670162/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1232643166&sr=8-1

we GAVE this book to perspective adoptors with children (or planning a family in the near future) before we would even interview them for dog adoption (I was the rescue secretary for the English Cocker Spaniel Club of America in the 1980s and 90s).......

I feel bad for the entire family, including the dogs which will be put down, all because of a moment of bad judgement.

11. lori

lori New Member

I read about the dog being a rescue, they'd had it since Nov 07. I feel bad for the people who fostered and knew that dog. Aren't babies on grown-up beds a no-no anyway because of SIDS still?

I also don't think it says anything about the dog because he did it. He didn't know.

12. Tbitt

Tbitt Most beloved member of MW

I can sooooo see this!

This is such a true and poignant statement!

13. STARSKI

STARSKI New Member

I feel bad for the baby. It seems like more people feel bad that the dog is gonna die.

14. lori

lori New Member

The baby's death is a done deal. Everyone feels sorry for the baby and her family. That goes without saying.

The dog is still alive. Like the baby, that dog is almost certainly going to die (be euthanized) for no good reason, or for the simple fact it was in the possession of someone who wasn't as careful as they should have been.

Now, I don't really believe there is any way to prevent that dog from being euthanized, but I wish that there were. That is a tragedy that in theory, could still be prevented. Hearing Susiebk's info, and if I had a chance to meet him and do some temperment testing, I wouldn't be overly concerned about bringing him into my household. I'm sure there are other households further removed from babies and small children than I am who would also be willing to take him. On the other hand, dogs get euthanized for stupid reasons every day, so I look at it as this one with a black mark on his record (however unfair) would only be occupying a spot (cage, home, whatever) that a dog sitting in a kill shelter with a clean record could have instead. So I'm not crying over it, just disappointed.