Yippee for Rodney!

Discussion in 'The Loafing Shed' started by burgie, Jan 18, 2009.

1. burgie

burgie New Member

Shadimac and Djangology donated a pet and supplies to my classroom.
    I am now the proud caregiver of a tadpole named Rodney.

Rodney began his life in my room on Weds of this week. He has a swanky tank complete with filter and heater and four guppy friends.

Since we didn't have school on Friday, I went and checked on Rodney. Just fine.

Went back and checked on Rodney today and....(drum role please...)

He sprouted tiny little legs!!!

Yippee for Rodney!

2. BUC

BUC Administrator

LOL. How about some pics of the little swimmer?

3. Tbitt

Tbitt Most beloved member of MW

Ya, that would be cool to watch. Get us pics!

Too bad your students are missing his changes!

4. thmblina1

thmblina1 New Member

Yeah for Rodney!!!...now I hope you have a cover on that tank so when he gets more legs he doesn't hop out and take a stroll around the school!

5. Sarah315

Sarah315 New Member

So, what kind of frog is Rodney? That is a very cool class pet! Take his picture for our Show-and-Tell board at my work, the next time your class comes to volunteer we can hang it up!

6. burgie

burgie New Member

No pictures yet - Will have to do that!

We have no idea what kind of frog he will become. He was an "oops baby" and came in with a shipment of other creatures. The kids are working on outlining skills and research as a result of our little classroom pet.

Sarah - good idea! Here's hoping that we can actually make it out to you guys this week!

7. Tbitt

I just want to say, Burgie, I love it that you are taking your class to help out at the rescue!

How nice! Good Job!

8. burgie

burgie New Member

Well thanks!

We have actually only made it out once (the weather has been to iffy the other times).
    A quick side story:

I work with students with emotional needs (bipolar, anxiety, etc). All lot of my students come from horrible home lives. Most of them had never seen a horse up close.

When we first got to BPS, we got a tour of the facilities. The director of the facility pointed to one of the pastures. One horse was standing up, while the others were taking a snooze laying down.

The director told my kids that the horses watch out for each other. The one standing up was "taking care" of the ones that were lying down. She told them how horses take turns caring for each other that way, and even though they are domesticated horses, they still retain their herd instinct.
    When we got back to school, one of my girls asked me why horses take care of each other better than people do.

Broke my heart.

9. Shell

Shell New Member

oh my thats sad, especially coming from a kid :'(

10. Tbitt

Schooling doesn't prepair you for this type of teaching.......... :'(

How did you answer her?

11. Shadimac

Shadimac New Member

Burgie,

As foster mom of Rodney, I am anxiously awaiting pics!!!! Yay!!! I kept watching for little legs the 3 weeks I had him and nothing! You lucky ducks! Its good for your class to be able to see the morphs though. You must be taking good care of him!

That is also the third time I've heard that story about your kids and the rescue, and it gets me everytime! I always have to fight back a tear! (Which actually is reassuring because I was feeling like I was getting too cynical)

Anyways, congrats to Rodney!

Tracy

12. AKPonygirl

AKPonygirl New Member

aw berg how do you answer a question like that?

13. burgie

burgie New Member

That particular student has had a more difficult life than I could ever imagine.

I told her I agreed with her, that animals can be better to each other than people can be.

I asked her which "horse" she wanted to be. Did she want to be the one watching out for all the others, being responsible and dedicated to those around her? Did she want to be the one laying down, and not worrying about a thing?

She thought about it for a bit, and decided she would be both.

14. burgie

burgie New Member

More exciting news!
    We started off Rodney's tank with four guppy friends.
    Today, there were nine!

And once Rodney grows all his legs, I'm sure that number will go to zero!

15. Tbitt

I was hoping you realized that........Make sure the kids do to! :eek: :'( :D

16. Shell

Shell New Member

You might want to set aside a male and female when your feeders start running low. Wait till you see the female getting fat, then the male can go back as being a feeder. This way you don't have to keep buying frog food.

17. burgie

burgie New Member

The kids know. We talked about the circle of life, yada yada.
    I think they are kind of hoping they will get to see Rodney eat the guppys.

18. Tbitt

if you are thinking of doing this.................let me know - I am SURE I have enough stuff laying around here to set you up with a tank!